List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1147858

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW, VILLAGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityEaston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193332

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTON VILLAGE STREET SK 92 NW (south side) Stoke Rochford 6/91 Church of St. Mary and St. Andrew 20.9.66 (formerly listed under Stoke Rochford parish) G.V. I Parish church. Cll, C12, C13, C14, 1448, 1460-70, C19 restoration, 1936. Ashlar and coursed limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south chapels and porches, chancel. West tower of 3 stages with billeted string course to belfry, corbelled embattled parapet with angle pinnacles and gargoyles. The lower parts were probably an unbuttressed Cll tower, the belfry stage being an early C13 addition, with paired pointed lights, octagonal shafts and round outer arches. In the side walls are slit windows with round heads. In the west wall a 3 light early C15 window with cusps and panel tracery. Above is a further slit window. On the north side a slender stepped C14 ashlar buttress. The west wall of the north aisle has C15 window of 3 cusped lights with panel tracery. The C13 gabled north porch has a single chamfered outer arch with moulded octagonal imposts. The north C14 inner doorway has wave moulding with hollow chamfered hood. The ashlar north aisle has 2 C19 windows of 3 lights. The clerestory has 3 paired lights with cusped heads and moulded hoods. Fine 1460-70 north chapel built for the Rochford family, with moulded plinth, stepped buttresses, pinnacles and embattled parapet. Moulded 4 centred arched doorway with hood and 3 wide segmental headed hollow chamfered windows of 3 lights each having moulded mullions and cusped heads to the lights. The east wall has a central 3 light window rebuilt 1936, and is flanked by the broad traceried windows of the Rochford chantries. The south chapel of 1448 has moulded plinth, stepped buttresses and pinnacled embattled parapet, in the south wall are 2 three light windows with panel tracery and moulded surrounds. In the south aisle wall a pair of C19 traceried 3 light windows. The C19 gabled south vestry has single light and ogee headed doorway to west. In the west wall of the south aisle an early C15 window with panel tracery. Interior. The mid C12 north arcade is of 3 bays having round piers, cushion capitals and square chamfered round arches. The early C13 south arcade has stiff leaf capitals and single chamfered round arches. The tower arch is C13 of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal responds. The broad single chamfered chancel arch has inserted capitals bearing the cypher of George VI. In the chancel the 3 bay north arcade has C14 filleted quatrefoil shafts with filleted abaci now supporting C15 4 centred continuously moulded arches. The south arcade is C15 with octagonal responds and chamfered arches. In the easternmost bay is a heavy crocketed ogee arch extensively rebuilt in C19. In the south chapel an ogee headed piscina and in the north a pointed piscina with wave moulding. In the chancel a reredos, 1911, by Mrs. G. F. Watts, comprising central panel of crucifixion flanked by free standing images of saints, all of painted stone. In the north chapel a white marble reredos, of 1886 commemorating Christopher Turnor. C18 box pews in aisles, otherwise fittings are C19 including octagonal font. The painted font cover made by Christopher Turnor c.l900 and matches staircase panels in Stoke Rochford Hall. 3 C18 funeral hatchments. In the chancel a large chest. Monuments. In the north chapel a C14 double monument, recessed into the floor in a rectangular surround, showing a knight and his lady lying under a blanket, he with a shield of arms, their feet resting on dogs. Also a tomb recess with panelled tomb chest containing angels and above a moulded arch with fleurons, crockets and finial. Flanking the altar are 2 C15 tomb chests having cusped panelled sides with blank shields. In the chancel are brasses to Henry Rochford, d.l470, a small figure of a man in plate armour with shields above. Also Oliver St.John and wife, d.l503. Small praying figures with weepers and shields. In the south chapel a handsome free standing monument to Henry Cholmeley, d.l641. In the centre the couple kneel with a babe beside them. Above is a semi-circular arch with cornice, cartouche of arms and strapwork scrolls and top. To either side kneel sons beneath canopies supported on Ionic columns with obelisks on the canopy. Flanking the centre are Corinthian columns supporting the columns and further obelisks. Extensive traces of original paint. In the north chapel a tall reredos monument to Sir Edmund Turnor, of 1707, in black and White marble with panelled base, bolection moulded inscription panel, set in an Ionic aedicule with broken segmental parapet and urn. In the south wall of chapel 2 marble wall monuments, one of 1678 and the other 1742. A further collection of C19 wall monuments to the Turnor and Cholmeley families.



Listing NGR: SK9205327352

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 92052 27351

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 09:54:18.