List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1147509

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityWragby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195431

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WRAGBY CHURCH STREET TF 17 NW (south-west side) 4/56 Church of All Saints 14.9.66 II Parish church. 1839 by W. A. Nicholson. Stock brick, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with south porch, small chancel. Plinth runs round entire church. West tower with moulded string course and 3 stage angle buttresses with gabled set offs. Western lancet with nook shafts. South doorway with pointed, moulded head, single small shafts on each side and plank door. Moulded string course above with trefoil on west and south sides, each with 3 small round cusped windows. Clock on north side. Moulded string course above and bell openings on all 4 sides, each a pair of tall lancets with nook shafts and hood moulds running into string course. Ornate corbel table above with parapet and 4 tall corner pinnacles. North side of nave with 6 narrow 2 stage buttresses with gabled set offs rising above parapet, and alternating with 5 pairs of lancets with nook shafts and hood moulds. Ornate corbel table under parapet. Lower chancel with doorway with pointed double chamfered head, hood mould and plank door. East end of chancel with small flanking gabled bays to north and south of central taller gabled bay defined by 2 stage gabled buttresses and pinnacles. East window of 3 lancets, that in centre taller, with nook shafts and hood moulds. Flanking bays each with single lancet. South side with low chancel to east with pointed doorway with double chamfered head and jambs, hood mould and plank door. Steep gable above with parapet. South side of nave with string course and tall 2 stage narrow buttresses with gabled set offs alternating with 3 pairs of lancets with nook shafts and hood mould. Corbel table above and parapet. Steeply gabled porch beyond with pointed south doorway with moulded head supported on single narrow shafts, inner chamfered surround and hood mould. East side of porch with small lancet. Porch interior with pointed south doorway with double chamfered head and jambs, hood mould and plank doors. Fragment of medieval moulded pier, very weathered and hollowed out into piscina. West of porch 2 narrow buttresses flank pair of lancets with nook shafts and hood moulds, corbelling and parapet above. Interior west doorway leading to tower and staircase to west gallery, with segmental head and broad panelled door. West gallery supported on corbels and slender columns, with panelled front. Tall pointed chancel arch with double chamfered head supported on clusters of 3 filleted shafts with plain moulded capitals painted white and gold. Doorway to left with shallow triangular head and panelled door. Tie-beam roof with curved braces over nave. All the windows with hood moulds and gold painted ornate label stops. East window with white and gold nook shafts. Panelled dado in chancel. Monument to Richard Blundy, died 1837, white sepulchre with urn and draperies. Monument to Barbara Bartholomew, died 1838, white plaque with urn on black field. Monument to Eliza Wrangham, died 1862, black and white with cross and palm. C19 octagonal stone font on tall pedestal, with ogee hood. C20 font. Remnant of C12 round shaft with crudely cut capital with darts and protruding angles, hollowed out into piscina. Several C19 and C20 brass plaques. C19 pews.

Listing NGR: TF1345777972

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 13457 77972

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 02:50:13.