List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STUKELEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1147402

Location

STUKELEY HOUSE, 9, BARN HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityStamford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193474

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1671 BARN HILL (East Side) No 9 (Stukeley House) TF 0207 1/31 22.5.54. II* GV 2. Mid C18 house of 2 storeys and attics in ashlar. Mansard roof of stone slates with 3 cambered dormers. Plinth. 3 windows with ui+usual treatment. The outer ones have a central hung sash with single side lights under a cambered head. fliw jambs consist of small pilasters. Centre window of a single liglt, cambered head. Those on the ground floor have narrow rusticated frames, and arch to centre one. Projecting porch with 2 columns in Greek Doric of early C19 date. Door of 6 panels, 2 glass, with reeded ingoes and a small segmental glazed fanlight. 3 steps. Inset foot scraper. This house is said to be the site of the residence of William Stukeley, the antiquary, while he was Vicar of All Saints, Stamford, in the early Cl8. It stands on the site of an earlier house from which Charles I escaped in disguise prior to his capture in 1646. House designed by George Portwood, Stamford's leading architect, in 1741. (pevsner).

Garage premises to No 9A,9A,9,10, Sunday School and Nos 12 to 17 (consec) together with Nos 1 to 8 (consec), All Saints' Place form a group.

Listing NGR: TF0277307259

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and John, H - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1964

National Grid Reference: TF 02773 07259

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 12:11:17.