List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STUBTON HALL

List entry Number: 1146985

Location

STUBTON HALL, FENTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityStubton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193975

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 84 NE STUBTON FENTON ROAD (east side)

3/86 Stubton Hall

19.2.52 II

Large country house, now school. 1813-14 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville, C18. Gault brick range with ashlar dressings and shallow hipped concrete tile roof with parapet and 4 ridge stacks. Attached to north-west, a small gault brick house with concrete tile roof and single ridge stack. Attached to north-west of latter, late C18 red brick service wing with earlier red brick service wing set back but attached to north-west. Both have shallow hipped concrete tile roofs and various stacks, the earlier C18 wing with leaded octagonal cupola. Main range, north west front of 2 storeys, 5 bays with slightly projecting central 3 bays. Plain stone plinth, ashlar first floor band and moulded eaves. 3 shallow steps lead up to central doorway with plain C19 doorcase with brackets and 3/4 glazed C19 doors. Flanked by 2 windows with 5 smaller first floor windows, all with glazing bar sashes. Large central early C19 Tuscan portico, 3 columns deep with wall pilasters, thought to come from Beckingham Hall. 2 storey 3 bay east return, with projecting ground floor central bay with blocked window and small pediment. First floor band and parapet. Central bay flanked by long windows with 3 smaller windows above, all with glazing bar sashes. 2 storey, 5 bay south-west front, the central 3 bays projecting in shallow ball. Ashlar plinth, first floor band and parapet. Central ground floor bay has C17 ashlar semi-circle of Tuscan columns which are paired against the wall, thought to come from Fenton Hall or Beckingham Hall. Central bow has 3 long glazing bar sashes flanked by single tripartite windows under segmental heads. Above are 5 small glazing bar sashes. Plaque attached to south front inscribed "This house was erected by Robert and Amelia Heron in the years 1813 and 1814. "Jeffery Wyatt, Architect."

Listing NGR: SK8755449003

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 87554 49003

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 08:56:49.