List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: IRNHAM HALL

List entry Number: 1146898

Location

IRNHAM HALL, SWINSTEAD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityIrnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194160

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

IRNHAM SWINSTEAD ROAD TF 0226-0326 (west side)

13/186

6.5.52 Irnham Hall

G.V. I

Country house. c.1200, C14 for the Luttrell family, early C16 rebuilding by Sir Richard de Thimleby, alterations of 1765 for the Conquest family, late C19 alterations following fire in north wing of 1887. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Ashlar, Collyweston slate and slate roofs with raised stone coped gables and finials. Numerous diamond and square C19 ridge and wall stacks in groups of twos and 3, and a single circular stack with moulded top to west range, relict from the early medieval house. L-plan, with screens passage and Great Hall. 2 storey with attics and cellar, 7 bay front, left hand 3 are advanced, embattled parapet, stepped buttresses throughout. Central C16 moulded semi-circular archway flanked by Doric pillars with strapwork bases supporting pulvinated frieze and to right side is a similar blocked opening into the porch, which covers an inner panelled door with fanlight set in a stone surround with C14 wave moulding and now mid C19 semi-circular head. To left of doorway are single C19 4 and 3 light windows. To the right a pair of C16 3 light windows with beyond a canted 2 storied bay window and a further 4 light window. To first floor are 4 three light windows and 2 of 4 lights. Behind the parapet are 4 steep stone coped gables above the hall, each containing a 3 light window. In the angle between the fronts is a facetted projection with single 4 light windows to each floor. At the centre of the south front is a 3 storey facetted tower, with single 2 light windows to each floor. To either side are single canted 2 storey bays containing 2 light windows and to each floor are 4 tall C19 3 light windows. All windows are mullioned and have 4 centred arched heads to the lights, moulded surrounds and hoods. To the rear of the north wing is a fine C16 stone door surround comprising a pediment supported by square Doric columns with ball finials, a pyramidal jewel at the centre of the pediment. Interior. At the end of the screens passage a C14 pointed doorway with 2 orders of sunk wave moulding. To the side wall 2 single chamfered C16 arches to service range. The gallery floor over has C16 moulded beams with run out stops. The hall has largely been remodelled mid C19, the ceiling in 3 gables with painted plaster panels, C19 moulded beams on carved brackets. First floor musicians gallery and long gallery on front, C19 linenfold panelling. The bay window has original C16 moulded stone surround with canted moulded girder with carved central motif. The service area has chamfered and stopped beams. The back stairs C17 with turned balusters, knopped newels and moulded handrail. The roofs are clasped purlin. In the roof can be seen the top of the c.1200 chimney stack which bears the circular shaft. This has chamfered weathering courses and the scar of an earlier gable showing that it predates the existing roof. The base of this chimney stack with chamfered plinth can be seen in the C17 cellar. In the attic chamber near the chimney is a good quality C16 fireplace with 4 centred head, moulded surround and cornice. In the Middle Ages Irnham was the possession of the powerful Luttrell family. Between 1320 and 1340 Sir Geoffrey Luttrell commissioned a Psalter, now housed in the British Library. The brass of his son, Andrew, is to be found in Irnham Church.

Listing NGR: TF0229626642

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 02296 26642

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:51:45.