List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1146810

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityUpton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197119

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 88 NE UPTON HIGH STREET (east side)

2/72 Church of 16.12.64 All Saints

G.V. II*

Parish church. Mid C11, late C12, early C13, C14, 1776, 1867, restored by Ewan Christian; 1874-5 north aisle mostly rebuilt by James Fowler; 1880 chancel re-stored by James Fowler. Coursed limestone and blue lias rubble; limestone and ironstone herringbone rubble; limestone and ironstone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with north aisle, long chancel with north vestry. West tower of 1776 with plinth, 2 stage clasping buttresses and 3 stages. Single lancet with hood mould, string coure above, keyed oculus, string course and bell openings on all 4 sides, each a single round headed opening with raised keystone. Moulded eaves above and battlements. Part of C13 nave to north with massive C19 buttress. West and north walls of north aisle rebuilt in 1874-5 with western lancet, 2 pointed north windows each of 2 pointed lights with hood mould and re-used C15 animal label stops and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. East wall of north aisle late C12 with small, broad pointed window high up with chamfered surround. Part of north chancel wall of Cll herringbone, remainder of ironstone rubble, with C19 rectangular window with 2 pointed lights, hood mould and label stops. C19 lean-to below. C19 north vestry with west doorway with Caernarvon head, chamfered surround and plank door. Pointed north window of three pointed lights. East end of-chancel heavily restored in 1880 with 2 C19 lancets with re-used C14 label stops and almond- shaped window above, and flanking diagonal 2 stage buttrresses and central 2 stage buttress. South side of chancel of blue lias rubble and herringbone with narrow 2 stage buttresses between 3 rectangular C14 windows each of 2 ogee headed lights with rectangular hood moulds. South side of nave with 2 two stage buttresses between 2 C19 pointed windows each with 2 pointed lights and single quatrefoil above, hood moulds and C14 animal label stops. C11 south doorway with plain jambs chamfered imposts, round head with plain tympanum, C14 hood mould and animal label stops, plank door. Interior C19 tower arch with pointed double chamfered head, inner order supported on corbels. 2 bay early C13 arcade with keeled responds, central round pier, plain moulded capitals and double chamfered pointed heads with broached mouldings where heads spring from abaci. Small pointed, chamfered arch to east, restored in C19, with blocked rectangular opening above. Broad pointed double chamfered C13 chancelarch dying into flanking walls. C19 north-east organ arch with pointed double chamfered head, inner order supported on corbels. C13 sedilia, simple striking stone bench ends in south wall. Cl9 waijon roof over nave and Lie beam roof over chancel. C19 ornate flint, wrought iron pulpit, pews, wrought iron altar rail and lectern. Grey and white monument with urn to Francis Toyne, died 1750, and family. C19 monuments.

Listing NGR: SK8685586744

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 86855 86744

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:39:45.