List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1146771

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, HILLGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth HollandDistrict AuthorityGedney Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198005

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GEDNEY HILL HILLGATE TF 31 SW (east side)

13/42 Church of the Holy 30.6.66 Trinity

G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C14, mid C15, mostly rebuilt in 1875 by James Fowler. Limestone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings, some red brick, some render. Slate and lead roofs with decorative red ridge tiles, stone coped gables and cross finials. Tall octagonal south chimney, tall rectangular north chimney. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and north and south porches, chancel with south vestry. 4 stage late C14 west tower remodelled in C15 with moulded plinth and 4 stage angle buttresses with ornate gablets at second stage; the north east buttress contains stair turret with 2 slit lights. Triangular headed west window with 3 triangular headed lights, hood mould and grotesque head label stops. Ornate ogee headed niche above with finial. Slit window above on west and south sides, the latter with hood mould. Clock above on west side. Battered bell stage with bell openings on all 4 sides; each with a pointed head, 2 semi-circular headed cusped lights, castellated transom and hood mould. Brick battlements. The remainder of the church rebuilt in 1875 with plinth and regularly placed, 2 stage buttresses. North aisle with shallow pointed west window with 2 pointed cupsed lights and hood mould. North side with single window to the right of the porch and 3 windows to the left, all the windows are rectangular with 3 ogee headed cusped lights and hood mould. Rectangular porch with stepped gable with cross finial; cusped slit light in west return; 4 centred doorway with foliate spandrels, rectangular hood mould and plank door, shield above. Porch interior with rectangular doorway with hood mould and plank door. North side of chancel with segmental headed window with 3 pointed cusped lights with hood mould. East end with a large pointed window with 3 pointed cusped lights, perpendicular tracery, hood mould and sill band. East end of south aisle plain. South side with a rectangular window to right with 2 ogee headed cusped lights and hood mould. Priest's doorway to left with a four centred head, continuously moulded surround and plank door. 3 windows to the left, each with segmental head, 3 pointed cusped lights and hood mould. Timber framed gabled porch to left, with paired lancets in return walls, four centred doorway with a pair of partially glazed doors. Another segmental headed window to left, with 3 pointed cusped lights and hood mould. West end of south aisle with pointed head, 2 pointed cusped lights and hood mould. Late C14 interior tower arch with pointed head with inner roll moulded order supported by semi-circular responds with castellated capitals, and 2 outer continuously moulded orders. Tower interior with north-east doorway with a four centred head, continuously moulded surround, hood mould, ornate label stops and plank door. C19 timber arcades supported on tall stone plinths, 4 of which are medieval. Curved braces support tiebeams, 4 of which are re- used C15 timbers. No chancel arch, with chancel defined by C19 screen. South chancel wall with C15 window re-set above vestry doorway, the former with a segmental head and 3 pointed cusped lights; the latter with a four centred head, continuously chamfered surround and plank door. Pointed C19 aumbry with cusped head and hood mould. C19 octagonal font. A grey and white marble monument with swags and urn, to John Perkins, died 1855. A white and grey streaked marble monument to Jacob Decamps, died 1770. A white marble monument with flaming heart, palms and urns to Mary Kingston, died 1815. Several C18 and C19 gravestones.

Listing NGR: TF3386811273

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 33868 11273

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 10:19:41.