List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

List entry Number: 1146568

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, HALLGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth HollandDistrict AuthorityFleet

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FLEET HALL GATE TF 32 SE (east side)

10/29 Church of St. Mary 30.6.66 Magdalen

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1180-1190, mid C14, restored 1798, 1843 and 1860-2 by C. Bennett of Lynn. Limestone rubble and ashlar. Concrete tile and lead roofs with stone coped gables with cross finials and single small stacks to north-west and south-west. Nave with north and south aisles and south porch, chancel. Moulded plinth and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses run round the entire church. All the window tracery restored in C19. West front clasped by north and south aisles. String course rises under a large pointed late C14, heavily restored in C19, west window with 5 ogee headed, cusped lights with transom, panel tracery and hood mould. Pointed doorway to right with hood mould running into string course and plank door. Pointed window beyond with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 tracery and hood mould. A similar window in the west of the north aisle. North side with 2 pointed windows to the right, each with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 flowing tracery and hood mould. Pointed doorway to left with double chamfered surround, hood mould running into string course and double panelled doors. Truncated window above with pointed head, 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 flowing tracery and hood mould. 2 similar full length windows beyond. East end of north aisle with pointed window with 3 cusped elongated ogee headed lights, C19 geometric tracery and hood mould. Chancel rebuilt in 1843. North side of chancel with outline of 3 blocked arcade bays with hood moulds. 3 C19 windows, 2 with shallow triangular heads and 3 trefoil headed lights with geometrical tracery and hood mould. One to the left with pointed head, 3 ogee headed lights, C19 reticulated tracery, hood mould and head label stops. East end with large pointed window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 reticulated tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Small blind, cusped, ogee headed opening above. South-east buttress with ornate mid C14 cusped, crocketed and finialled niche. South side with pointed C19 window to the right with 2 pointed, cusped lights, quatrefoil, hood mould and head label stops. Eaves above this bay with foliate sculptured motifs of c.1190. 2 C19 windows to left with pointed heads, each with central ogee headed light, flanked by single round headed lights, flowing tracery and hood moulds. West end of south aisle with pointed window with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, C19 flowing tracery and hood mould. South side with part of a blocked doorway to the right with fragmentary hood mould. 2 windows to the left with pointed heads, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights and C19 flowing tracery 2 similar windows beyond the gabled porch to left, the latter with small lancets in return walls. Pointed doorway with double chamfered head, semi-circular responds, hood mould and head label stops. Interior flanking stone benches and pointed double chamfered doorway with hood mould, head label stops and double plank doors. Interior 5 bay north and south arcades of c.1180 with tall round piers and semi-circular responds; pointed double chamfered heads. Chancel arch of c.1180 with semi-circular responds and pointed double chamfered head with hood mould. Windows in chancel with hood moulds and head label stops. Mid C14 sedilia restored C19 with 3 crocketed and finialled gables.Trefoiled heads beneath and ornate pinnacles. Piscina to left with ornate crocketed and finialled gable, trefoil head and damaged gables. C15 octagonal font with traceried panels and octagonal pedestal. C19 parclose screens. Early C14 sculptured fragment of robed figure. C19 reredos, altar rail, pews and choir stalls. C19 roofs supported on fine C14 stone corbels of crouching figures. 5 sided pulpit with fielded panels and plain pilasters; octagonal sounding board. Monuments include one in black and white marble to Hannah Frost, died 1831; one a white and black marble diamond to Thomas Bockington, died 1745. A white marble oval with draperies, cherub and cartouche to Wilhelmi Iaij, died 1706. Another in black and white marble with pediment to Richard Dods, died 1853.

Listing NGR: TF3888123680

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 38888 23680

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 04:52:05.