List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1146549

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityIngoldsby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193240

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 03 SW INGOLDSBY MAIN STREET (south side)

6/25 Church of St. Bartholomew

20-9-66 I

Parish Church; C12, C14, C15, C16, Cl7, c.1700 with C19 alterations. Ashlar, dressed and coursed limestone rubble; slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave with clerestorey, 2 aisles, south porch, chancel with south porch. C16 ashlar rather squat 3 stage tower with moulded plinth, 2 string courses, battlemented parapet with corner crocketed pinnacles above stepped clasping buttresses. C17 3 light cross mullioned west window. 2 light C16 belfry openings to each face, with 4 centre heads and hood moulds. North aisle coursed limestone rubble with slate roof and stone coped gables, 2 bays marked by 3 added stepped buttresses, in western bay a C15 north doorway with deeply splayed hood mould, door having ogee panellel carved tracery. West, south and east aisle windows all C16 3 light with flat heads under hood moulds with label stops. Plain north clerestorey, blank, with cornice and parapet with saddleback coping, concealing lead roof. Chancel is dressed rubble with stone coped gables and slate roof. One side buttress at east end. 2 windows both with hood moulds and label stops, the eastern one being C15 tall 3 light with panelled tracery and triangular head, the other being C14 2 light with curvilinear tracery. The chancel has been shortened and largely rebuilt in C19 and all windows are reset. The C15 east window; set high up, has 3 lights with unusual curvilinear tracery, curved triangular head with hood mould and curious sickle terminals. A C18 tablet is set in the wall. The south side of the chancel is in coursed limestone rubble with a string course at cill level. A small priests porch in ashlar has been added in C19, having a steeply pointed gable with kneelers, and a sharply pointed 4 centre arch. To the east of the porch is a C14 2 light window and to the west a C15 3 light window, both matching their equivalents on the north side of the chancel. The south aisle is in coursed limestone rubble with lead roof behind plain parapet with cornice and saddleback coping. The east window which has been cut by the later shallower roof pitch is a late C13 3 light window with Y tracery and a shallow hood mould with tiny human mask stops. The south window is C15 3 light with triangular head. The C16 south porch has a roll moulded plinth and a string course and a blocked triangular headed east window. The plain moulded parapet conceals a lead roof, which is drained by a defaced gargoyle with a ruff. The porch opening has been recut in C19. The south door is C15 with hood mould over having shield label stops. The door has C15 ogee decoration and a wicket with an ogee head. The south clerestorey has a plain parapet and three 2-light C16 windows with hood moulds under continuous cornice. Interior; The 3 bay north arcade is late C12 with double chamfered semi- circular arches on semi-circular piers with circular bases on square blocks. The western respond and pier have stiff leaf capitals; the eastern respond and pier have waterleaf capitals. The 3 bay south arcade is c.1700 with double splay pointed arches with Doric capitals and cylindrical piers on cushion bases. The tower,which is embraced by the aisles has 3 tower arches of similar design to the south arcade, the chancel arch has also been recut at that time. The tower arch opening has graffiti dated 1705. In the south aisle is a C15 tomb recess with damaged cusped decoration, and a trefoil headed piscina. In the chancel is a C15 tomb recess and a blocked opening which shows that the chancel has been shortened. The nave roof is C16 with large tie beams and braces to corbels. Fittings; the pulpit and altar rails are C20. In the chancel are 2 fine C16 chairs. The octagonal font is C15 with shields in cusped panels and stem with traceried designs. In the south aisle east window are C14 glass fragments reset and dated "JH 1801 CW"

Listing NGR: TF0102230065

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 01022 30064

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 09:10:08.