List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

List entry Number: 1145911

Location

CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityMacclesfield Forest and Wildboarclough

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58104

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WILDBOARCLOUGH C.P. SJ 96 NE 3/10 Church of St. Saviour. GV II Church 1901-9 for 16th Earl of Derby. Coursed red sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins, windows and doorways and Kerridge stone-slate roofs. Squat 2-stage battlemented west tower, aisleless nave of 4 bays, chancel of 1 bay, gabled south porch, north vestry. Pointed east window of 3 lancets under hoodmould on carved heads as corbels; square-headed mullioned windows to nave, south side of chancel and to vestry, with square labels and hollow-moulded mullions and surrounds; hollow-moulded surrounds to doors. Two gabled 3-light dormers of oak on south slope of nave roof. Foundation stone in south wall of chancel: This stone was laid by Constance, Countess of Derby, Sept 14th 1901. The simple interior is plastered above oak dado. Oak queenpost trusses to nave; through purlins to chancel; rafters and diagonal-boarded underdrawing, all of oak. Simple oak pews. Bowl-shaped stone font on base with corner-shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. The church was built, to commemorate the safe return of the Earl of Derby's sons from the Boer War, using Estate masons and carpenters.

Listing NGR: SJ9845468788

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 98454 68788

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 07:53:11.