List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1145530

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityCatterlen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 43 SE CATTERLEN NEWTON REIGNY

13/22 Church of St John

27.12.67

II*

Parish church. Late C12 and C13 with extensive restoration of 1876 by Ewan Christian. Mixed red and pink blocks of sandstone, the upper part of the walls of coursed red sandstone rubble. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables. 3-bay nave with aisles, south porch and twin open bellcote. Single-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave has C19 stone porch; the aisles with 2- and 3-light cusped C19 windows, the north windows without cusped heads. South built-in sundial. Chancel has blocked south priest's doorway, blocked original east window opening below C19 3-light window. Interior of nave has C12 font on C19 stem. 3-bay arcade of pointed arches, the north ones on octagonal piers and the south ones on round piers. C13 piscina under the respond of the north-east arch. Part of an original window splay in the south aisle under a C19 window and piscina. Pointed chancel arch. C16 roof trusses one with inscription dated 1585. White marble wall plaque in north aisle to Susanna Richmond of Highhead Castle, 1774. Chancel has piscina. Facing C19 large arched recesses. C19 furnishings and fittings. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, old series, x, pp.158-165.

Listing NGR: NY4798431601

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 10, (), 158-165

National Grid Reference: NY 47984 31601

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 09:23:57.