List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1145428

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, B6260

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityOrton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74091

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ORTON B6260 (West side) NY 60 NW Orton 13/72 Church of All Saints 6.2.68

GV II*

Parish Church. Various dates from late C12. Chancel and north nave aisle rebuilt during 1878 restoration by Paley & Austin. Nave and tower stone blocks on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses; chancel ashlar. Shallow-pitch lead roof over nave and south aisle; graduated slate roofs to north aisle and chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave, aisleless chancel. Early C16 three-stage castellated tower. Gabled porch in 1st nave bay on south side is dated 1607. Nave aisle windows all 3 segment-headed lights under hoodmoulds with labels (south aisle windows are early C16). Parapet. Lancet windows to chancel. Interior: Arcades of squat, wide pointed arches; late C12 pier and respond in east bay of south arcade formed part of original crossing. Late C15/early C16 roof timbers to nave and aisles. Octagonal stone font dated 1662 with initials D.W. & M.O. Piscina in trefoil-arched recess at east end of south aisle. 1695 Royal Arms painted on panel over entrance. 3 bells on frame in north aisle, one cast c.1530 by John Woolley of Nottingham, others dated 1637. Good C19 glass.

For dated plan and detailed architectural description see 1936 R.C.H.M. Westmorland

Listing NGR: NY6221408395

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Inventory Of Westmorland - Date: 1936 - Journal Title: Inventory Of Westmorland

National Grid Reference: NY 62214 08395

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 02:53:11.