List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLE BLOCK EAST OF LOWTHER CASTLE

List entry Number: 1145326

Location

STABLE BLOCK EAST OF LOWTHER CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityLowther

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 52 SW LOWTHER LOWTHER

12/138 Stable block east of Lowther Castle 6.2.68

GV II*

Stables and Coach house adjoining Lowther Castle. 1806-9 by Sir Robert Smirke for 1st Earl of Lonsdale. Calciferous sandstone ashlar with string courses and battlemented parapets. Graduated greenslate roofs, partly hipped. Buildings on 3 sides of courtyard. Rear 2-storey, 7-bay coach house has ground-floor segmental arches under 2-light stone-mullioned windows with hoodmoulds. Battlemented parapet rises in centre with clock face and Lowther arms. Right single-storey, 4-bay quadrant link and left similar 2-storey link, have central segmental arch and sash windows under hoodmoulds. Left 2-storey, 9-bay stables has 7 recessed bays with flanking rectangular battlemented turrets. Central segmental arch and sash windows under hoodmoulds. Turrets have rounded-arched windows. Right domestic/stable range is similar to the left range opposite, but with angle turrets on projecting bays, that to right forming part of the return wall of the castle facade. The Household Accounts of the Earl of Lonsdale in the County Record Office, Carlisle, record payment on 30 June 1806, to William Bayles & Co, of £10. 2s. 6d. "for removing 405 yards of earth previous to laying foundations for new stables, coach houses, etc". Graded for group value with Lowther Castle.

Listing NGR: NY5229823825

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 9 Cumbria - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: NY 52298 23825

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 06:37:48.