List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1145310

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityLangwathby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74301

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 53 SE LANGWATHBY LANGWATHBY

8/97 Church of St Peter

II*

Parish church. C13 with C15 alterations, partly rebuilt in 1718 (dated with plaque and churchwarden's names) with porch dated 1836. Red sandstone rubble walls, the 1718 walls of dressed red sandstone with eaves cornice and V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; west twin bellcote. Red sandstone roof on porch. 5-bay nave with north aisle and west porch/vestry. 2-bay chancel. Nave has C13 aisle wall with blocked north doorway, a C15 chamfered-surround window and lancet east and west windows. The south wall of both nave and chancel is of 1718 with tall round-headed windows. Porch has flattened pointed-arched doorway under hoodmould, and lancet west window. Vestry is early C20. Other chancel walls are probably C15. The 1718 wall has blocked priest's doorway. 3-light C18 east window. Interior has 3-bay arcade of C13 pointed arches on rebuilt octagonal columns. C15 2-light west window now covered by porch. Late medieval open timber roof. Alms plaque 1703. 2 breast plates and helmet, used as parish armour, mounted on wall. C18 baluster font.

Listing NGR: NY5690433730

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 56904 33730

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 08:47:25.