List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1145271

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityAskham

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74406

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following:-

ASKHAM NZ 5023 NY5123

16/8 Church of St Peter 6.2.68 II

The grade shall be amended to read 11* (star)

------------------------------------

ASKHAM NY 5023 NY 5123 16/8 Church of St Peter

6.2.68 GV II Parish church. Dated over entrance 1832, by Sir Robert Smirke (who was also the architect of the nearby Lowther Castle), incorporating features from the medieval church on this site. Snecked calciferous sandstone ashlar with eaves cornice and raised quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated green slate roof with coped gables and cross finials. Square south-west tower, 4-bay nave/chancel with north transept and south aisle. Tower has round-arched studded south door, round-headed windows and round-headed twin bell openings. Nave has west studded doors in pointed arch under 3-light window. Each side has round-headed windows. 3-light east window. Interior has 4-bay Gothic-arched arcade. Rear gallery, panelled pulpit and C19 panelled oak pews, the ends carved with Lowther arms. Various C19 white marble wall plaques. Transept was the burial chapel of the Sandford family of Askham Hall, hence C17 and C18 wall plaques to members of that family. Stem and bowl font dated 1661. C19 creed and pater boards.

Listing NGR: NY5181823856

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 51818 23856

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 04:58:14.