List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PATRICK

List entry Number: 1145258

Location

CHURCH OF ST PATRICK, BAMPTON GRANGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityBampton

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74482

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following:-

NY 51 NW BAMPTON

BAMPTON GRANGE 12/81 Church of St Patrick 6.2.68 II The grade shall be amended to read II* (star)

------------------------------------

BAMPTON BAMPTON GRANGE NY 51 NW 12/81 Church of St Patrick 6.2.68

- II Parish Church. 1726-28 on medieval site with 1804 restoration. Large blocks of calciferous sandstone with V-jointed quoins, partly rendered, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials, being relaid in 1986. 7-bay with west square 3-storey tower/porch; 2-bay chancel. Tower has west double plank doors and overlight in pilastered surround under broken segmental pediment. 2-light round-headed windows and bell openings. Nave has tall round-headed windows in stone surrounds with false keystones. At the west end of both the north and south walls is a doorway, blocked on the south. Chancel has similar windows and a triple round-headed east window. At various points around the walls C18 gravestones have been set in. INTERIOR: 3-bay timber arcades of round arches of Tuscan columns. Barrel vaulted timber roof. C18 panelled pulpit and pews containing earlier panels one dated 1684. C18, C19 and C20 white marble wall plaques. Square C12 font bowl on C20 plinth, the bowl inscribed: 'MW 1662'. One C19 figurative stained-glass window. Chancel has C19 stained-glass east window by Ward and Hughes. C19 white marble wall plaques to members of the Noble family. Early C18 turned-baluster communion rails. Parish register records that the church was consecrated on 20 June 1728 by the Bishop of Carlisle. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, pp28-9.

Listing NGR: NY5215718040

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936), 28-9

National Grid Reference: NY 52157 18040

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 07:03:01.