List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1144844

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ADDINGHAM

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityGlassonby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73449

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 57450 38310 GLASSONBY ADDINGHAM NY 53 NE

10/20 Church of St Michael 27.12.67 G.V. II*

Church, replacing earlier church now beneath the River Eden. Probably early C16, incorporating earlier features, with alterations 1786 and 1898. Large blocks of coursed red sandstone rubble, graduated green slate roof with coped gables and kneelers. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Nave had north door filled in 1786 when west porch was built; replaced by present south porch after 1840. West twin bellcote with C18 and C19 bells. Double round head lancet windows, one replacing earlier window. Chancel has south door with round head with hollow chamfered surround. 2-light trefoil head windows with hood moulds and similar 3-light east window. 2-storey north vestry has similar window. East wall has inscribed stone with illegible inscription, dated 1702. Interior has wood and plaster C19 rib vaulted nave ceiling; chancel has C19 barrel vaulted wooden ceiling. Stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1900. Piscina may be reused from earlier church. C19 and C20 wall plaques, one heraldic to Edwin Rowley, 1888. Hog back stone, C9 decorated cross shaft in 2 pieces and incised grave slab, all in porch, were dredged from river on the site of the earlier church. See, Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xiii, p.162-6; xiv, p.328-336.

Listing NGR: NY5743538308

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 162-6
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 328-336

National Grid Reference: NY 57435 38308

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:46:30.