List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1144527

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaAllerdaleDistrict AuthoritySt. John's Castlerigg and Wythburn

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 72181

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 32 SW ST JOHNS CASTLERIGG & WYTHBURN ST JOHN'S IN THE VALE

13/96 Church of St John 3.3.67 II

Parish church. Inscribed over porch REBUILT 1845; but incorporating part of an earlier church, with 1893 restoration. Coursed mixed slate and igneous rock reinforced with small galleting pieces, under graduated greenslate roof. 6-bay nave/chancel with small rectangular west tower and north porch. 2-light windows in Tudor-style stone surrounds and similar 3-light east window. Tower has twin bellcote openings and battlemented parapets. Segmental-arched low stone porch. Interior has open timber roof. Carved Royal Arms of George III and marble wall plaques to Hodgson family 1774 and John Wilkinson 1853. Wooden panelling from box pews in Crosthwaite Church, brought here in 1893. C18 pulpit and sounding board are probably from another church, brought here in 1893. Early C18 sanctuary rails, and altar table by Sir G. Gilbert Scott, were the gift of Crosthwaite Church. Stained-glass east window of 1895 and heraldic south window to Henry Corrie Jackson who died in the Boer War, 1900. Furnishings and fittings, 1893.

Listing NGR: NY3064722458

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 30647 22458

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 03:46:52.