List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA

List entry Number: 1144140

Location

CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityNewquay

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 71120

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWQUAY CHURCH STREET (east side), SW 86 SW St Columb Minor 5/116 Church of St Columba - 24.10.51 GV I

Parish church. C14, on earlier foundation. C15 alterations and additions, with restoration of 1795 and 1884 by J.D. Sedding. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped verges to east. West tower in dressed granite. Plan: Nave and chancel in one; it appears that the aisles were built in C14, and altered, possibly with the extension of the aisles to the full length of the chancel, in early C15, south porch of C15, and later west tower of C15. Exterior: The nave is enclosed by the aisles. The chancel east end has C19 4- light Perpendicular window with hood mould and relieving arch. North and south aisles: each extended at the east end as chapels; both east ends have a straight joint to the chancel and 4-light C19 Perpendicular window, with hood mould and relieving arch. Both aisles are blind at the west end. The main range of the north aisle has early C15 4-light window with 2 tall lights and a lower light at each side, with 4-centred arches and hood mould. 3-light C19 Perpendicular window to right, with C20 single storey addition. 2-light C19 Perpendicular window to west of the addition. The south aisle is of 4 bays including the south porch, with 2 bays of the south chapel to east. The chapel has 4-centred arched moulded granite doorway with carved spandrels and C19 door. 3-light C19 Perpendicular window. The main range of the south aisle has one C15 and two C19 3-light windows with cusped lights, 2-centred arch and hood mould. Slate ledger stone attached to south wall, of C17, with carved flowers and strapwork, valedictory verses to Margaret .... 1658. Gabled south porch: has 4-centred arched doorway, wave-moulded, with C20 double doors. Fine slate sundial over, with gnomon, dated 1826, erected by the churchwardens. The interior of the porch has slate floor and stone benches, C19 arched brace roof. Inner moulded 4-centred arched doorway with hood mould and C19 studded door. The west tower is in four stages, in squared granite rubble on moulded plinth with string courses and set-back weathered buttresses, embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. West doorway has rounded arch with wave mouldings, plain round granite vault with inner C19 double doors. 3-light C19 window above with 4-centred arch and hood mould. Stair lancets to north. Third stage south has clock dated 1910. Fourth stage has C15 3-light bell-openings with Perpendicular tracery and slate louvres, 4-centred arch and hood mould. The pinnacles are corbelled out with small carved figures at the level of the top string course. Interior: C19 tiled floor, unplastered walls. The nave and chancel have C19 arched- brace roof. C19 roof to aisles, except for the east chapels, where there is a C15 wagon roof with carved ribs, wall-plates and bosses, unceiled. The nave has 4-bay north and south arcade with 2-centred arches with double chamfered orders, piers with 4 large outer shafts and four smaller inner shafts, ring-moulded capitals; the piers at the west end and at the east end of the chancel are in Beer stone, other piers in granite. The chancel has a J-bay north and south arcade with depressed 4-centred arches and similar piers. The north aisle has a 4-centred arched doorway to the rood stair, stone newel stair with upper doorway; corresponding doorway cut through the north and south arcades. Nave has piscina in south wall. Chancel and north chapel also have piscinas. The nave has a blocked window at the west end on the north side, possibly pre-dating the addition of the north aisle. 4-centred tower arch, with imposts, chamfered. Fittings: C12 stone font in nave, circular bowl with chevron carving, 4 outer shafts surmounted by faces and central stem. Royal Arms of Charles II in north aisle, plaster with ancient colour, mounted on board with pediment and cherub and pinnacles. C19 wooden chair with carved floral panel to back and scrolled top. C17 stocks in south aisle. C19 painted Gothic board in north and south aisles with texts. In north aisle, a 1610 copy of the Breeches Bible. Monuments in north aisle; slate monument with low relief carving of a woman, with inscription around the border, to Elizabeth...1640; slate tablet to Richard Budd, 1787; slate tablet with fine vigorous carving in relief; of the figure of a man, initialled RE, circa 1640. In south aisle, the paving contains re-used headstones of C19. Slate monument to Henry Minnow, 1697, with central panel with verses and border with floral carving. Glass: One window with stained glass by Gibbs and Howard, 1885. Source: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SW8397862396

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SW 83977 62401

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 03:00:23.