List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT

List entry Number: 1143078

Location

CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityWithiel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67625

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WITHIEL WITHIEL SW 96 NE 3/159 Church of St Clement 6.6.69 GV I

Parish church. C13 foundation; nave and chancel probably of C14; alterations of mid- late C15. C19 restoration. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite dressings. South aisle, porch and west tower in granite ashlar. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and raised coped verges to gable ends. Plan: Nave and chancel in one; in circa mid C15, the north chancel aisle was added and the east end of the chancel rebuilt. Later C15 addition of south aisle and south porch, and west tower. Exterior: Nave only visible on north side; has two 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and relieving arch, and central pointed arched doorway, chamfered, with C19 door with studs. C19 ashlar stack. The chancel east end is on a moulded plinth, continuous with both aisles; pilasters surmounted by tall panelled piers with crocketed pinnacles; 5-light Perpendicular east window with 4-centred arch, hood mould with label stops. North chancel aisle of 3 bays, with no plinth on the north side; all windows are 3- light, with cusped lights and square hood mould. To east the verge is swept down from the chancel, with a 2-light window with cusped lights, Y tracery, 4-centred arch ad hood mould. The south aisle is of 6 bays on a hollow-chamfered plinth, with porch in second bay from west. All windows are 3-light, with cusped lights, cenral light taller with 4- centred arch, hood mould with label stops. West end has similar larger window. East end has similar taller 4-light window with Y tracery. Gabled south porch on hollow-chamfered plinth. The outer doorway has tall 4-centred arch, hollow-chamfered with nook-shafts. C18 slate sundial with gnomon above and cross finial. Interior of porch has granite paved floor and benches to sides. C15 ceiled wagon roof with carved ribs and wall-plates, bosses probably re-carved in early C19. Holy water stoup to right with carved shield. Inner doorway has tall 3- centred arch, roll-moulded with recessed spandrels, tympanum with carved shield and leaves with wave-moulded surround. C19 door with good ironwork. The west tower is in 3 stages on chamfered plinth, set-back weathered buttresses and embattled parapet with octagonal piers with crocketed pinnacles. West door with 4- centred arch and hood mould, C19 door with studs; 3-light west window with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould, 3-light bell-openings at third stage with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould, with wooden louvres. To north east, there is no buttress, but a stair tower with lancets. Interior: The south aisle walls are plastered, the rest in stone rubble. The nave and chancel have early C19 wagon roof with carved bosses, of similar workmanship to those at Church of St Meubred, Cardinham (q.v.). The south aisle has wagon roof with some carved ribs and wall-plate of C15, and similar bosses. The north aisle roof is ceiled. Tall round tower arch with imposts. The nave has 6-bay south arcade with Pevsner A-type piers and 4-centred arches ; similar 3-bay north arcade with a C19 wooden screen across. Opening for the rood in the north and south arcades. The wall is stepped back by the north arcade at the point where the north aisle was added. Fittings: C19 wooden benches in nave and wooden pulpit; all with Gothic decorative detail. C19 marble reredos. Fine stone font in nave, probably C15, with octagonal bowl with carved panels, on octagonal carved stem with panels and cable moulding. In the north aisle, 2 carved wooden figures fixed to a scrolled board; these are probably surviving from an early screen or as corbels to the roof. Monuments in chancel: slate headstone to Henry Vyvyan, 1811, with carved figures in Gothic style; oval stone tablet to Grace Phillipps, 1818; marble tablet with urn, to Richard Frewren, 1792. The north aisle has floor paved with early C19 headstones. Glass: fragment of C15 stained glass in the east window of the south aisle, showing a shieled of arms and a bishop's mitre. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SW9942965387

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SW 99426 65384

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 07:29:49.