List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EGLOSHAYLE CHURCH

List entry Number: 1142961

Location

EGLOSHAYLE CHURCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityWadebridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Nov-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67845

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WADEBRIDGE EGLOSHAYLE ROAD, Egloshayle SX 07 SW 4/217 Egloshayle Church (previously 6.6.69 listed as Church of St Petroc)

GV 1

Parish Church. Apparently undedicated. Norman origins with Norman font extant although the Church was largey rebuilt in the C15. Restored in 1867 by J.P. St Aubyn. Stone rubble north wall of nave and north transept. Ashlar slatestone south aisle with moulded granite plinth. Ashlar slatestone west tower. East wall of chancel and south porch largely rebuilt in ashlar slatestone in the C19. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one. Plan: The Church appears to have comprised a nave, chancel and north transept with early masonry extant in the north wall of the nave. In circa C15 a 6-bay south aisle was added and possibly, slightly later a south porch which was rebuilt in the C19. Probably contemporary with the south aisle, the north transept was extended to the east although only one bay of this north aisle was completed; the segment of an arch to the west was partly rebuilt in the C19 with the earlier relieving arch above insitu. In circa 1470s Lovybound, vicar, erected the west tower (qv Wadebridge Bridge). Exterior: Tall impressive west tower of 3 stages with set back corner buttresses, battlemented parapet and crocketted finials. Projecting stair turret on north east corner. West door has a pointed catacleuse stone arch with carved jambs decorated with ascending and descending serpents. On the labels are carved 3 hearts banded together by a ribbon and inscribed 'Lovybound': C19 3-light Perpendicular west window and circa C15 3-light belfry openings with slate fenestration. Clock 1835. The north wall of the nave is lit by two 2-light circa early C14 windows which flank the north door. A late C20 vestry has been added on the north side. Circa C15 3- light windows with cusped heads to north transept, the north window much restored and with the earlier relieving arch above indicating that the opening was enlarged in the C15. 5-light circa C19 east window and Perpendicular circa C15 east window to south aisle. South aisle with C15 4-light Perpendicular windows carved with diagonal stops on the inside. Gabled south porch appears to have been rebuilt in the C19, the entrance with 2 circa C15 jambs reset and the C15 waggon roof reused. Circa C15 4-centred arch to south door with hollow chamfer and ogee headed empty niche above. C19 door. Interior: Walls unplastered. No chancel arch and almost rounded headed tower arch. C19 arch braced roof to nave, chancel and north transept and C15 fine waggon roof to south aisle with carved ribs and bosses and carved corbelled angels decorating the carved wall plate. 6-bay arcade to south aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers and simply moulded pointed arches. Indication of partial C19 rebuilding on west corner of north transept; two bays of north aisle to north with type A (Pevsner) piers, one arcade arch pointed and the wider arch on the east obscured by the C19 organ, On the west only half an arch remains, the arch rebuilt in the C19 but the relieving arch above indicating a low almost round headed arch. C19 furnishings. Circa C15 octagonal pulpit of Caen stone with remains of earlier colouring on west and east sides. Probably Norman font restored in the C19; Norman square bowl decorated with arcade of blind arches on four faces. C19 shaft with 4 thinner shafts at the corners and C19 base. Remains of holy water stoup by north door and stoup by south door has a small square bowl and a heraldic shield below. C19 aumbry in chancel. Memorials: Slate memorial to the Kestell family in the west tower with heraldic arms carved in shallow relief. Several C19 memorials to the Molesworth family including memorial to Arscott Ourry Molesworth (1823) by Richard Westmacott, R.A. and monument to Dame Barbara Molesworth, 1735. Glass in east chancel window by G. Cruttwell and T. Hamilton, 1930. Colquitt-Craven, Joan Egloshayle Church, Wadebridge. Maclean, Sir JohnParochial and Family History of Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876 Polsue, Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1872 Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1872 reprinted 1974

Listing NGR: SX0008471909

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colquitt Craven, J, Egloshayle Church Wadebridge, (1986)
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

National Grid Reference: SX 00083 71909

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 10:35:03.