List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NONNA

List entry Number: 1142805

Location

CHURCH OF ST NONNA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityAltarnun

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68269

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALTARNUN ALTARNUN SX 28 SW 4/50 (9/1) Church of St Nonna 22/11/60 GV I

Parish Church. Norman origins although largely rebuilt in circa later C15 when the north and south aisles were added. Restored in 1867 by E. Sedding. North and south aisles and porches of roughly coursed local stone with granite moulded plinth. Chancel of stone rubble with granite quoins. Lower stage of tower roughly dressed ashlar stone with upper stages of stone rubble. Regular slate roofs. Plan: Nave and chancel in one with 5-bay north and south aisles, north and south porches and west tower. The church probably has Norman origins with Norman font and remains of piscina. The tower was probably started in the late C14 (Sedding), the second and third stages added in the C15. The north and south aisles and porches are probably late C15. The church was repaired and restored in 1867 by E. Sedding and was repaired in 1986 after damage caused by lightening when a pinnacle fell from the tower, through the roof. Exterior: West tower of 3 stages with set-back corner buttresses to just above second stage. Moulded plinth and strings and battlemented parapet with crocketted finials. Stair tower on north west corner. Low multiple moulded 4-centred arch to west door with C19 3-light west window and 2-light Perpendicular window above. 3- light belfry openings with slate tracery and slate louvres. North and south aisle have almost complete circa late C15 Perpendicular tracery with varying lead patterns to glass. There is a C19 window in the west end of the south aisle and a datestone above west window of the north aisle; DV:WC: 1795. This window has granite intersecting tracery. 4-light Perpendicular chancel window. Granite ashlar rood loft projecting in north aisle. The C15 north and south porches have 4-centred roll moulded granite arches with incised spandrels and hood moulds. The C15 waggon roofs have carved bosses and the doors are probably late C17, of double construction with heavy raised and fielded panels. Interior: Bare stone rubble walls, plastered on east end. Waggon roof to nave and chancel heavily restored. C15 waggon roofs to north and south aisles partly restored with carved bosses and wall plate. 5-bay C15 granite arcades to north and south aisles with type A (Pevsner) piers, moulded bases and caps and moulded 4-centred arches. Fine quality C15 carved rood screen across east end of nave, north and south aisles with 2-centred arched openings with Perpendicular tracery. C19 roof loft, stair removed. Communion rails extend across east end of chancel and north and south aisles; fine moulded balusters with inscription 'JOHN RUDDLE MINISTER OF LAUNCESTON PREBENDARY OF EXON AND VICAR OF IRIS PARISH 1684'. Bench at west end of church inscribed 'WP: SC ANNO 1684'. Fine quality C16 bench ends and remains of some benches. One bench end inscribed 'Robert Daye maker of this worke and William Bokyngham Curate, John Hodge, Clarke, on M.D. (1500)'. C19 pulpit. Norman font, circa 1100-1130 (Sedding) with square bowl carved with floral patterns and painted carved bearded heads at the corners. Octagonal shaft and C19 base. Carved head of Norman pedestal piscina at west end of church. Painted texts, Lord's prayer, Creed and Commandment boards. Circa C18 altar tables.

Listing NGR: SX2227981337

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 22276 81337

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:20:23.