List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List entry Number: 1142426

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANNE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityWhitstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Oct-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67280

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITSTONE WHITSTONE HEAD SX 29 NE 7/95 Parish Church of St Anne 29.9.61 I

Parish church. Base of tower C13, upper stages of tower and arcades C15, chancel and porch 1882, interior largely 1882 by Samuel Hooper of Hatherleigh. Tower masonry patched, largely slatestone rubble. North aisle dressed polyphant and granite on slatestone rubble plinth, upper masonry looks renewed. South aisle and chancel slatestone and polyphant rubble. Granite dressings throughout, window tracery largely renewed in Bath stone, Delabole slate roofs. Chancel, nave, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. Chancel has 4-light, granite, Perpendicular east window, rustic cutting to tracery. 3-stage, unbuttressed, battlemented west tower with granite strings. Partially projecting, battlemented, rectangular, north-east stair turret diminishing in width at belfry stage and rising above the tower battlements with higher north-east pinnacle. West door of tower round-headed, chamfered, granite arch. 3-light, granite, .Perpendicular west window. West belfry opening 3 cusped lights below 2 quatrefoils and hood mould with label stops. North and south belfry openings, 2-light, granite, below dripledges and relieving arches. Tower pinnacles with rounded finials. North aisle windows have granite jambs, hood-moulds and label stops and 1882 reticulated tracery in Bathstone. Shallow-moulded, ogee-headed, granite, north door. North aisle, east window, 3-light with 1882 tracery with quartrfoil in rounded in head. South aisle, east window similar, same design used for alternate windows in south aisle; other windows south aisle 3-light, C19, Perpendicular-style. 1 2-light, decorated style Hatherleigh stone window in south aisle. 4-centred, shallow- moulded priests door in south aisle. C19 moulded polyphant inner door possibly recut from C12 doorway. Rectangular opening in porch east wall. 5-bay north and south granite arcades, piers of conventional Perpendicular type, moulded capitals carrying shallow-moulded arches. Spandrel masonry to nave cemented over. Slightly pointed, unmoulded tower arch. Nave walls plastered. Nave and chancel roofs 1882; nave, arched brace and collar; chancel, canted waggon with ribs and bosses with herringbone boarding behind; chancel arch marked by bargeboarding on truss, chancel wall plate pierced with quatrefoils. North aisle. roof boarded waggon re- using C15 ribs and bosses, ribs carved over east end,vine-carved wall-plate. South aisle roof 1882 arched brace and collar with further arched brace above collar, C15 ribs and bosses fixed to trusses. Stepped-up chancel with good 1880s tiling, cinquefoil-headed sedilia, piscina, and aumbrey with wooden doors. Font, C12, circular, with frieze on top of bowl. 1882 benches, late C19/early C20 stations of the cross. Early C20 chancel and parclose screens. Late C15/early C16 bench ends incorporated into chair. Inscribed slate memorial to John Cornish, died 1610 fixed to vestry screen in north aisle, rustic lettering. Fine slate memorial to George Hele, buried 1652 used as north aisle altar front. 3 arches of blind arcading carved in relief, inscriptions to left and right, arms carved in relief in centre. Late C17 wall monument to Sara Symons on west wall of south aisle. Cinquefoil-headed piscina on south wall of south aisle, holy water stoup to priests door in south aisle. Slate memorial to Thomas Edgcumbe, died 1712, by Samuel Harris of Jacobstow, fixed to external wall of south aisle.

Listing NGR: SX2629598613

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 26294 98610

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:08:21.