List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT GERMOE

List entry Number: 1142197

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT GERMOE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityGermoe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 65893

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 52 NE GERMOE CHURCHTOWN, Germoe

6/210 Church of Saint Germoe 10.7.57 GV I

Parish church. Possibly pre-Norman and C12 fonts, parts of south wall possibly C12, chancel, south transept and porch probably C13 or C14, remodelled and extended in the C15 with west tower north aisle and north tansept. Some re-roofing in 1860, restored 1891. Granite ashlar tower, otherwise granite rubble with granite dressings for windows, doorways and copings. Scantle slate roofs with coped gable ends, Gothic style C19 bellcote over the rood position, large embattled stone lateral stack over the west wall of the north transept/vestry. Plan: probably originally nave and chancel, becoming cruciform in the C13 or C14 with north and south transepts and a south porch. In the C15 the north wall and transept demolished and north aisle, north transept (vestry) and west tower added. Several periods of C19 repair including much re-roofing circa 1860 and a restoration of 1891 probably included new gable copings to the east, west and north gables and a new chancel east window. Roofs repaired and reslated circa 1950-52. Complete C15 3-stage unbuttressed west tower with strings dividing diminishing stages; embattled parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles. Complex moulded 4- centred west doorway with square hoodmould with carved oak leaf label stops, 3-light traceried window over; blind second stage and 3-light traceried window with lowered or pierced slate lights to the upper stage. Under the parapet are 2 carved gargoyles to each side and the panelled pinnacles rise from carved angel corbels. North aisle: original C15 Perpendicular windows those to gable ends with tracery, ei1clr window within a 4-centred arch; all 3-light windows except the 4-light east window. North wall has 1 window left of the north transept and 2 windows with doorway between on the right. The moulded doorway has a steep 4-centred arch. C18 door. The north transept has a C15 4-light traceried window in the gable end and some reused C13 or C14 trefoil-headed tracery in the wall below. The chancel gable projects beyond the north aisle gable: C19 Perpendicular style 3- light traceried window over 4 blind panels; the central light is wider. South wall is blind left of the porch; between the porch and the south transpet is a curious probably C14 3-light flat-headed window with trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoils to the tracery; to the right of the south transept a single light C13 or C14 window with a trefoil head. The south transept and south porch have their original probably C14 gable copings. The transept gable window is C14 flat-headed with 3 Moorish arched lights, possibly remodelled; C15 square hoodmould and relieving arch over. In the east wall is a C14 2-light window with trefoil-headed lights. In the west wall a single light window with a possibly C12 round-arched head. The porch has its original carved kneeler stones and gable crucifix. The kneelers are thought to represent longtailed monkeys. The porch doorway and the inner doorway of the south wall are probably C14, moulded with pointed arches. There are stone benches at the side of the porch and the inner wall plaster has been stripped revealing a few ancient stone fragments. Interior : C12 carved head and 2 C13 or C14 in the south transept; probably C14 east impost to the 2-bay arcade between the nave and south transept (otherwise C19 in Perpendicular style); C13 or C14 trefoil-headed holy water stoup on the left (east) of the south doorway; original granite ring hanging right of the doorway; C15 4- centred tower arch over moulded imposts; C15 4-bay standard A (Pevsner) arcade with moulded stilted arches between the nave/chancel and north aisle; C15 4-centred arch over standard A (Pevsner) imposts between the north aisle and north transept; C15 4- centred arched doorway to granite newel stair to former rood at the right (east) of the north transept arch (the transept is offset slightly to the east to include the stair turret thickness); evidence for a former probably C15 priests doorway in the south wall of the chancel; carved granite intrados to the C15 east window of the north aisle; C19 collar rafter roofs incorporating carved fragments of former C15 waggon roofs; the chancel roof, circa 1850, is of panelled polygonal vault construction (apparently originally taller than the nave roof); mostly C19 coloured Ambetti glass in the windows with some C20 replacement and C19 sedilia with piscina in the chancel. The church walls have been stripped of plaster and repointed and painted in the C20. Fittings: Cll font with irregular round bowl with 3 carved heads over a round shaft carried on a possibly reused pier base; C12 font bowl with cable moulding lying in the south transept; C17 oak table used as altar; C18 painted wall text boards; 3 bells in the tower dated 1753 with the founders mark (a bell) and 2 with the founders initials (AR): circa early C20 pulpit: memorial to James Plomer Lemon (church warden) died 1887 and his wife Henrietta, died 1903, erected by their only son James Frederick Lemon. The Church of Saint Germoe is unusual in Cornwall having some C14 architectural features; however the C15 tower and other C15 features are also very fine. Particularly interesting are the south gable copings and the carved monkey corbels. Sources : Church guide, Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SW5854129427

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of Saint Germoe Church Guide
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SW 58538 29422

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 06:40:48.