List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CONSTANTINE

List entry Number: 1142141

Location

CHURCH OF ST CONSTANTINE, CHURCH SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityConstantine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66062

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 72 NW CONSTANTINE CHURCH SQUARE, Constantine

8/76 Church of St Constantine

10.7.57

GV I

Parish church. Circa 1420 to 1480 rebuilding of an earlier church. A series of restorations and repairs from 1859 to 1901 including the rebuilding of the chancel in 1862 by J.P. St. Aubyn. Granite ashlar. Slate roofs with C19 crested red clay ridge tiles. Plan and Development: Nave and chancel in one. 6-bay south aisle and 7-bay north aisle with an additional 3-bay aisle on the north side of the north aisle at the east end, known as the Bosahan Aisle; west tower and north porch. On the evidence of the reused Norman fragments in the east and west ends of the south aisle it is clear there was a church in the C12. In the C15 the whole church except for the chancel was rebuilt. The 5-bay south aisle the length of the nave, and the south porch were added first in circa 1420, followed by the west tower and the 7-bay north aisle the full length to the end of the chancel. The south aisle was then extended by 1 bay eastwards and finally in circa 1480 the 3-bay Bosahan aisle was added to the east end of the north side of the north aisle when the road screen was inserted. There were a series of C19 and early C20 restorations and repairs starting in 1859 and including the 1862 restoration by J.P. St. Aubyn who rebuilt the chancel and later in the C19 the church was restored again by E.H. Sedding who stripped off the internal wall plaster. Exterior: The whole church is granite ashlar with a chamfered plinth and wall plate and there are slender buttresses with set-offs all round except for the chancel. The gable ends have plain granite coping. There are stone crosses over the east gables of the north aisle and Bosahan aisle. The south side of the south aisle has 5 granite C15 3-light Perpendicular windows with the polygonal rood stair turret between the 2 easternmost windows; a large 4- light east window with intersecting Perpendicular tracery and a hoodmould and a small 3-light Perpendicular west window. Above this west window of the south aisle a reused section of circa C12 chevron moulding and another piece in the internal jamb of the east window. Rainwater head on south side is dated 1879. The C15 south porch is also buttressed and has truncated shafts over the buttresses and a moulded plinth course; the porch doorway has a 4-centred arch with its tracery broken away, panelled polygonal respnds and a canopied image niche above. The north aisle has three 3-light north windows with C19 limestone Perpendicular tracery, the west window has granite Perpendicular tracery. The north doorway has a chamfered 2-centred arch with plain spandrels and pyramid stops, and a reconstructed shallow porch with unmoulded jambs, a chamfered lintel and a trefoil-headed niche above. One of the 2 buttresses on the north aisle has a carved head at its top, the other has a jug-shape. The additional Bosahan aisle at the east end of the north side of the north aisle has two 3-light Perpendicular windows with C19 limestone tracery and a 2-centred arch 3- light window with possibly reused late C14 intersecting cusped tracery in granite. The north doorway to the right has a chamfered segmental arch and the weathering to the flanking buttresses is continued above to form a canopy. The chancel rebuilt in 1862 has a large C19 3-light Perpendicular style east window and a C19 3-light south window. The fine west tower is built of granite ashlar in 3 stages with a moulded plinth, weathered string at each stage and a cornice with a lozenge pattern in it soffit. The set-back buttresses have carved heads at the top and pinnacles above, but below the parapets. The large square pinnacles over each corner have panelled sides and crocketted finials. The top stage has 3-light Perpendicular bell-openings on each side with pierced slate baffles. The 4-light west window has Perpendicular panel tracery and the west doorway of elvan has a finely moulded 2-centred arch with a trailing vine carved between the mouldings and carved head stops at the base of the jambs; the hoodmould has carved stops and there is a carved head in the voussoir above. The doorway appears to be earlier than C15. In the north west corner of the tower there are window slits to the stair. Interior: The walls have been stripped of plaster. Most of the window rear-arches are unchamfered granite. All the roofs were replaced in the late C19 (1878 Kellys) and have arch-braced collars and wind-braces; the principals over the chancel nave division are coupled to form a ceilure. The 6-bay south arcade has double hollow-chamfered 2-centred arches and monolithic Pevsner A type granite piers. The 7-bay north arcade and the 3-bay Bosahan aisle arcade are similar but have Pevsner B-type piers. The rood screen has been removed but the arcade spandrels are pierced and the rood stair turret on the south side has a 2-centred chamfered arch doorway with pyramid stops. The tall tower arch has roll- moulded responds and angel corbels with shields at the springing of the chamfered and bead-moulded 2-centred arch. A small chamfered 2-centred arch piscina at the east end of the north aisle. On the south side of the sanctuary an empty 4-centred arch effigy niche. The floor of the sanctuary has late C19 encaustic tiles. Late C19 marble and mosaic reredos, Gothic style altar table and altar rail with wrought iron stanchions. The fielded panel box pews appear to be circa mid C19 and are largely intact except for the north and south sides of the north and south aisles which have C20 oak pews and at the west end of the nave where the benches are late C19. The choir stalls are C20. The carved wooden eagle lectern and octagonal pulpit with traceried panels are both circa early C20 and the square granite font is also early C20. A small section of the wainscot of the rood screen is preserved in the Bosahan aisle and has unusual floral carving. A chest in the church has some finely carved early C16 panels of Renaissance influence. There are 3 bells recast by Thomas Mears of London in 1809. Monuments: A slate wall monument on the south-side of the chancel to Thomas Perry died 1734. A small alabaster wall monument in Bosahan aisle with a segmental pediment and slate tablet to Jane Penticost died 1597. Small brass below to John Pendarves died 1616. A marble wall monument with an urn to William Nicholls died 1803 by Isbell of Truro and another to John Nicholls died 1788 with a swaged urn. On the floor of the sanctuary a fine brass to Richard Greyrveys died 1574 and his wife Jane (Trefusis) with figures of their 16 children, family arms and an inscription; it is a palimpsest, the back having C14 Flemish work with a knight in armour. Stained Glass: In the tracery of the west window of the tower there are some fragments of medieval stained glass. The large stained glass east window is in memory of Edward Rogers, died 1859. A circa mid C19 stained glass south window of the chancel. The window in the east end of the north aisle is in memory of Jane Peter died 1870. The east window of the south aisle has some C20 stained glass. The westernmost window on the south side of the south aisle is in memory of Jonathan and Jane Mayne, 1860. Source; Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall. pages 29 to 39. Kellys Directory, 1919.

Listing NGR: SW7310329074

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall29-39
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1919)

National Grid Reference: SW 73104 29073

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 06:29:28.