List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1141826

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityKilkhampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 64826

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 21 SE KILKHAMPTON KILKHAMPTON

4/17 Church of St James, 29.9.61 Kilkhampton

- I

Parish church. C12 inner south door, late C15/early C nave, aisles, roofs, west tower, vestry. 1567 porch built for John Grenville, east end rebuilt 1860 by Sir G G Scott. Inner south door freestone, tower slatestone ashlar brought to course, chancel and aisle walls largely slatestone ashlar with granite dressings, slate roofs. Fine Romanesque inner south door, church otherwise Perpendicular. Tall, 3 stage, battlemented tower with setback buttresses with offsets; moulded granite strings and crocketted pinnacles. West door arch moulded and recessed beneath square-headed architrave with hoodmould and label stops, quatrefoils in roundels carved in spandrels. West window with Perpendicular tracery has hood mould and label stops. South side of tower has 4-centred arched opening in rectangular architrave at second stage. 3-light belfry openings with slate louvres under blind tracery. Uncusped 4-light north and south aisle windows under hoodmoulds with label stops, west windows to north and south aisles 2-light, C19 with hoodmoulds truncated by tower buttresses. Small, segmental arched south door into the Grenville chapel has hoodmould with label stops and stone carved with the Grenville arms. Above the door is a cusped ogival statue niche flanked by armorial reliefs including the Grenville arms, probably recut. Lean-to vestry on north side has granite coping, 2-light uncusped window and narrow square-headed door with replaced lintel. Circa C17 4-plank vestry door retains strap hinges terminating in fleur de lys finials, Suffolk latch with iron loop drop and cruciform backplate, key escutcheon. Shallow rectangular rood stair turret on north side. North door has pointed, moulded arch and C12 beakhead incorporated into stone relieving arch above. East end has C19 clasping buttresses to aisles and buttresses on either side of east window. Good 5-light 1860 east window, deeply recessed with moulded architrave, hoodmould and label stops. East windows of aisles similarly recessed and moulded with 1860 rectilinear tracery. South porch has square headed architrave and hoodmould with carved label stops. 4-centred outer door is carried on engaged shafts with cylindrical, roll- moulded capitals. Above the arch is carved "Porta cell 1567". Porch has arched brace C19 roof and slatestone, oak-topped benches which stop short of the inner door. Inner door has 4 orders of carving carried on colonettes with waterleaf feet. The soffit of each order is also carved. Inner order has beakheads holding a roll moulding, zig-zags on soffit; second order has zig-zag and further zig-zags on soffit forming unusual design (q.v. Morwenstow); third order is similar but has lozenges carved on corner between soffit and order; outer order has zig-zags with roll moulding on soffit. Variety of capitals to colonettes, including heads and pine cones. Interior, tall 7-bay conventional granite Perpendicular arcades, each with 2 bays to the chancel. Tall tower arch springing high up from moulded piers. Unceiled waggon roofs throughout, with carved ribs and bosses, probably partly renewed. Chancel waggon slightly lower with angels carved at wall plate level. Fine set of C16 benches with carved rectangular ends and moulded rails. 22 benches, each with 1 carved end in south aisle, 19 similar in north aisle. 16 benches each with 2 carved ends in south nave, 15 similar in north nave. Carvings include symbols of the Passion, armorial bearings and Renaissance arabesques, many with unconventional borders (q.v.Launcells). Those benches facing the chancel have carved frontals with some fine profile heads. C16 granite font with octagonal bowl has puzzling inscription in inverted Lombardic letters. Continuous frieze runs below inscription, armorial panels carved below frieze, blind panels on stem. North and south doors circa C16, west door similar, refronted on exterior. Organ rebuilt 1958 retains C19 pipes and some good C19 carving. Numerous wall monuments attributed to Michael Chuke of Kilkhampton (q.v. Churchyard Memorial), said to have been a pupil of Grinling Gibbons. All but 2 recently repainted, those retaining earlier colouring are monument above vestry door to the Rev. John Coryndon, d.1711: Corinthian columns support a moulded cornice and segmental pediment, drapery knotted round columns, carved decoration of swags, skull corbels, kneeling angels. On south wall of Grenville Chapel, monument to Sir Bevill Grenville, erected 1711 has Corinthian columns supporting a cornice and is flanked by panels carved with military trophies. The large Royal Arms of George II on the north wall, and the fine Grenville Arms above the rood screen are also attributed to Chuke. Wall monument in Grenville chapel to Algernon Cartaret Thynne, died 1917 signed W Goscombe John, R.A.Marble tablet with bronze reliefs of Palestine and a bronze statue of horse and rider above. Many examples of good C19 glass, mostly by Clayton and Bell, including a fine east window and some important glass by the firm made in 1860. Churchyard contains numerous late C18 and early C19 good slate headstones with inscribed verses. James Harvey, visiting Kilkhampton in the early C18 was inspired by the "dumb monitors" as he described the memorials, to write his extraordinary "Meditations Among the Tombs". Meditations and Contemplations, 1745- 46.

Listing NGR: SS2525611340

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harvey, J, Meditations and Contemplations, (1746)

National Grid Reference: SS 25258 11339

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 09:44:01.