List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT ANTHONY

List entry Number: 1141687

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT ANTHONY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Anthony-in-Meneage

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 65367

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 72 NE ST. ANTHONY ST. ANTHONY-IN-MENEAGE -IN-MENEAGE 2/207 Church of Saint Anthony

10.7.57 GV I

Parish church. C12 font, S. transept and parts of south wall possibly also C13 but remodelled in the C15 and the C19, tower and north aisle are C15. Granite ashlar tower, otherwise shale rubble walls with dressed granite to most openings. Scantle slate roofs with many circa C17-18 hand made crested clay ridge tiles all with gable ends the one to south transept with dressed granite coping. Probably a cruciform plan in the C12-C13 with porch added soon after. West tower and north aisle are probably late C15. Rood stair turret to north wall remodelled as a doorway probably in the C17. Some C19 restoration including the replacement of the south windows and the addition of buttresses to the north and south walls. 3-stage C15 embattled and pinnacled west tower is complete and unaltered: 4-centred moulded west doorway with square hoodmould and flat relieving arch circa C17-C18 2- panel door, 3 light repaired Perpendicular window with coloured glass, over; 2nd stage blind; 3rd stage with 3 light louvred Perpendicular window to each side. By the south-west corner of the tower is the resited remains of a medieval holed cross head with a faced carved on one side. North aisle has C15 granite Perpendicular windows, arched window at either end and sqaure headed to north wall, all with cinquefoil headed lights and all with hood moulds. The west gable end window has quatrefoils to the tracery. The 3-light east window also with tracery and coloured glass. The north wall has 1 window left of stair turret and 2 at the right with C19 weathered granite ashlar buttresses between. The turret has a circa early C17 Tudor arched doorway. Chancel has 3-light Perpendicular east window with tracery and coloured glass. South wall with 2 C19 buttresses has single light window between buttress with old jamb to one side and resited arch stone over, possibly a remodelling of an original C13 window. At the left near the angle with the south transept is a 2-light C19 window. The south transept probably remodelled in the C15 and partly rebuilt in the C19 has C19 3 light traceried granite window in early Perpendicular style to the south gable end. Porch adjoins in the left hand angle of the transept. Left of the porch to the south wall of the nave is a 2 light C19 Perpendicular style window. The porch outer doorway has rubble jambs carrying a 2-centred chamfered freestone arch possibly C13 or resited. The C15 moulded inner doorway is 4-centred almost basket arched. There are stone benches at either side of the porch and a holy water stoup in the east wall. Interior: Fine C15 waggon roofs over nave/chancel and north aisle with carved wallplates, ribs and purlins plastered between; walls also plastered; 5 bay arcade between nave/chancel and north aisle with steep 4-centred 2 ordered arches over octagonal piers; similar arch to south transept on corbelled imposts; basket arched doorway to rood stair and rear arch to east window of north aisle. Niche in north wall of chancel may be in original C13 window position. Fittings: C15 round inscribed granite font with angel carvings. Base of C12 font nearby. Painted Royal Coat of arms to north wall, flanking the east chancel window the Ten Commandments, left, the Creed, right, and the Lords Prayer, under; chancel east window glazed 1890 by A.P. and J.G. Vivian of Bosahan. North aisle east window in memory of John and Mary Roberts, 1890. Most of the other fittings are C19. Monuments: one to the west wall of the south transept to Humphry Millet Grylls of Bosahan, died 1834 aged 44. Sited near the mouth of the beautiful Gillan Creek almost on the shoreline, this church has survived less altered than most since the C15 and the waggon roofs are particularly remarkable.

Listing NGR: SW7828925669

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 78289 25666

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 03:30:05.