List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUBERT

List entry Number: 1141573

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUBERT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityCubert

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63662

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CUBERT SW 75 NE 2/14 Church of St Cubert 30.5.67 GV I

Parish church. C13 origin; tower added circa 1300; additions of circa mid C15. Restored by G.E. Street 1846-9; tower rebuilt 1852. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Tower in slatestone rubble with broached stone spire. Slate roofs with ridge tiles and gable ends; the south transept retains some hand-made crested ridge tiles. Plan: The church may originally have been cruciform, the nave with north and south transepts; the chancel was extended, the masonry showing an irregular joint between the nave and the chancel on the north side. Circa 1300, the west tower was added. Circa mid C15, the south aisle was added, with south transept and south porch. Exterior: Of the nave, only the north wall and north doorway are visible; the doorway has 2-centred arch with triple hollow mouldings, C19 plank double doors. The chancel east end has C19 Perpendicular window of 3 cusped lights with tracery, hood mould and relieving arch. Small 2-light C19 north window with cusped lights, upper quatrefoil, 2-centred arch and hood mould. There is an irregular joint in the masonry to the nave at the north side. The north transept has raised coped verges and cross finial to the north gable. 2- light north window, probably C14, with trefoil lights and upper hexfoil, with 2- centred arch, hood mould and relieving arch. C19 east window of 2 cusped lights with square head and hood mould. West tower on chamfered plinth, in 3 stages, with set back weathered buttresses rising to the level of the first stage; weathered string course at the top of the second and third stage; octagonal broached. spire with finial. C19 2-light west window of 2 cusped lights, with trefoil and 2-centred arch. Second stage has lancet to west. Third stage has C19 2-light bell-openings with 2-centred arches, cusped lights with trefoil and slate louvres and hood mould. The south aisle is of 5 bays including the porch and the transept. The east gable end has C20 cross finial and 3-light C19 window with sharply pointed trefoil lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould; upper relieving arch remaining from earlier window opening. The west gable end has similar C19 2-light window with trefoil lights, elongated upper quatrefoil, 2-centred arch and hood mould. To south, at the east end there is a C15 3-light window with 4-centred arch and hood mould, cusped lights and C19 mullions. To left of the porch a 3-light C19 window with cusped lights, square head and hood mould; to right a 2-light C19 window with trefoil lights, upper trefoil, 2-centred arch and hood mould. The south porch is gabled, with raised coped verges and 2-centred arched moulded outer doorway; C19 east iron gate with spear finials and circles to the mid rail. The interior of the porch has slate floor and stone benches; roof of circa C18 with principal rafters and cambered collars. Granite inner doorway with triple roll- mouldings, 4-centred arch with recessed spandrels with quatrefoils, C17 plank door with studs and fleur-de-lys strap hinges on the inside. The south transept has south gable end with C19 2-light window with 2-centred arch and hood mould, sharply pointed trefoil lights and elongated quatrefoil above, banded relieving arch with keystone and recessed springers remaining from the earlier window. No windows to east or west. Interior: Plastered walls and slate paved floor. The nave has a ceiled wagon roof, with part of a carved C15 wall-plate visible on the south wall; there may be further C15 carved members remaining above the ceiling. The chancel has C15 wagon roof with carved ribs and bosses, ceiled, with carved wall-plates, to south supported on granite corbels. The south aisle has C15 wagon roof with moulded ribs, no bosses, and carved wall-plate, unceiled. The south transept is ceiled. The north transept has unceiled wagon roof of C15, with moulded collar purlin and chamfered wall-plate. Tall 2-centred tower arch with 2 convex-mouldings and triple shafts to sides in darker stone and ring-moulded capitals and bases. 6-bay C15 south arcade, with Pevnser A-type piers, the capitals carved with primitive leaves, 3-centred arches and wave and hollow mouldings. The chancel has an aumbry to south. The south transept has 4-centred arch with wave and hollow mouldings, Pevsner A-type piers with carved capitals as in the south arcade. To south, in the transept, there is a tomb recess below the window, with cambered arch with roll-mouldings. Fittings: C13 stone font in north transept, with cylindrical bowl with star carving, central stem and four outer shafts with ring-moulded capitals and bases. Wooden pulpit in nave, incorporating panels from C15 bench ends showing the instruments of the Passion, including a shroud. Plain C19 pews in nave and aisle and low C19 screen across the east end. The south wall of the nave has Royal Arms of George IV, dated 1820, oil on board in moulded frame, signed John Blee, painter, Truro. In the nave, two C19 painted boards with 2-centerd arches, with the Ten Commandments. Monuments in nave: warble tablet on slate ground, to Joseph Hosken, 1780; granite ledger to Revd. Michael Prust, 1808. In south aisle: a fragment of an C18 slate with verses and carved border. In chancel: Gothic style marble monument on slate ground, to James Hosken, 1839, by Pearce of Truro; slate monument with later stone border and pedimental top, with urn, flowers and pilasters, with latin inscription, to Arthur Lawrence, 1669; marble monument with sarcophagus, on slate ground, by Pearce of Truro, to Joseph Hosken, 1833; paired marble tablets on slate ground with pedimental top, to Jean Anderson,, 1821 and Joseph Hosken, 1823; marble monument with pilasters and draped urn, with apron, on slate ground, by Isbell of Truro, to John Hosken, 1810; marble tablet with dove on slate ground, to Jean Hosken, 1859; a group of marble monuments on slate ground, to Richard and Frances Hosken, 1872 and 1858, to Jean Logan, 1838, Alicia Findlay, 1907 and Constantia Hosken, 1916. Late C19 stained glass in chancel and south aisle. Source: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SW7861157757

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SW 78609 57756

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 01:28:23.