List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1140899

Location

THE OLD SCHOOL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityFeock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63312

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK

4/37 The Old School

GV II

National School, now private house. 1846 (Preliminary Statement of 1853, CRO). By Pearson. Extended later C19 in 2 phases. Slatestone rubble with granite quoins, copings and dressings for architectural detail. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends, formerly partly roofed with double Roman tiles. Tudor style. Originally 1 large schoolroom and smaller room adjoining to right (north) of (east) front end, with adjoining entrance porch with bellcote in angle and projecting to front, then schoolroom and classroom extension to right (north) parallel to original schoolroom with small open courtyard to rear, and finally a classroom built over this courtyard. Single storey. East front: left and righ 2 gable ends of projecting cross wings with entrance porch with bellcote over projecting slightly to left of centre and attached to left-hand wing. Right-hand gable end dressed stonework is probably reused from original north gable of schoolroom. Each of these gables has plinth, central 4-light steeped gable, slit ventilator with slate louvres over, corbelled kneeler courses and cruciform gabletted finial. Porch gable surmounted by original granite ashlar bellcote with steep weatherings has 4-centred, moulded doorway with stepped hoodmould enclosing shield, and plaque with round-moulded border over. Original single light window to north wall of porch and 2-light window to east wall of original classroom. Other windows in similar style except 1985 conservatory to left-hand (south) side wall. Interior remodelled 1985 but retaining arch braced roof structure. Average number of children in 1852 was 51 boys and 1 girl. (Preliminary Statement 1853). The design of this school is similar to Devoran Primary School, qv., also by Pearson.

Listing NGR: SW8241538394

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 82415 38394

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 03:46:27.