List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

List entry Number: 1140860

Location

THE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityKea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Mar-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63420

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 84 SW KEA COME-TO-GOOD

2/134 The Friends Meeting House (formerly listed as "Come- to-Good Friend's Meeting 30.5.67 House")

I

Quaker meeting house. Circa 1710. Painted cob on stone rubble footings. Steep wheat reed thatched roof, half-hipped to left, west, and sweeping lower to right over later linhay. Originally plan of 1 rectangular room open to the roof. Galleried loft inserted in 1717. Linhay added circa mid C19, probably when window from east end was resited in original doorway position and new doorway cut in west end. Weather boarded lean-to porch added to west now demolished and replaced by thatch-roofed concrete structure in 1967. Symmetrical 3-window south front plus open-fronted linhay to right. Central shallow open porch now with 2-light window in original doorway position. Original leaded latticed windows within oak frames with oak mullions with ogee internal mouldings. Frames of 3-light windows in situ, left and right, and original frame of central window survives high up in east wall, now within linhay. Opening lights are hung on pin-tail hinges and all have wooden saddle bars holding original lead cames and crown glass. Some intermediate bars set diagonally. Old wood shutters. Ovolo-moulded oak lintels with ogee tongue stops over doorway, porch and windows. (These lintels and the windows are of a slightly archaic design. Contemporary with the Meeting House is the remodelling of Penelewey Barton, in 1710, with up-to--date sashes, and where even the rear outshuts have wooden casements. It is quite possible that the lintels and windows are reused to save money). Buttresses to far left, and right of right-hand window are later. Further old leaded window of 2 lights but with rectangular panes 'is high up in west wall towards front. Interior is almost intact with many original fittings. Exposed roof structure with pegged apices and lapped collars, which, together with loft gallery and fittings is of unpainted and unstained pine. Stair of 2 short flights is in north west corner replacing original 1717 stair which ran along north wall, rising to 2-panel door with wide stiles and rails, (also archaic and possibly renewed). Gallery front is supported on 2 pine posts, and floor structure of gallery is carried on planed pine beams with simple side mouldings. Ministers gallery at east end is complete, in the form of a wall settle approached by 2 wooden steps to either side. Shaped ends to settle and full width lectern in front. All this is flanked by wall settles at a lower level returning along north and south walls and with original arm-rests. Further built-in seat to south of doorway at west end. Some possibly original loose benches survive but fitted with later backs. These, and the later ones, together with all constructional features, are very simple, exemplifying the attitudes of the Quaker movement. Door to west is of plank construction, hinged also in the middle to fold back against west wall when open. Linhay is of very primitive construction of unhewn timber. A mounting block survives to the south east. The Meeting House was built: in 1710 using funds' raised from Quaker subscribers in 1707 and 1710. (Meeting House guide). Research by Mr Withers of Penelewey Barton shows that the farm including the land on which the meeting house stands, was owned by James Mayo, a Quaker, and was later leased to Vyvian, whose name with the date 1716 is scratched on one of the window panes at the farmhouse. In spite of the C20 porch on the west end, this little meeting house have been remarkably unaltered since the C19 and still retains much of its original character and fabric. Further source: NONCONFORMIST CHAPELS, by Christopher Stell.

Listing NGR: SW8127840325

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Stell, C - Title: An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England - Date: 1991

National Grid Reference: SW 81279 40322

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 09:19:02.