List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST IVO

List entry Number: 1140830

Location

CHURCH OF ST IVO

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Ive

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61362

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 36 NW ST IVE ST IVE

7/161 Church of St Ivo

21.8.64 GV I

Parish Church. Consecrated 1338. Sister Church of South Hill (q.v.). Nave, north transept, and chancel contemporary with date consecration. South aisle and south porch circa late C15. Tower circa C16 built by munificence of Henry Trecarrel of Lezant. Restored in 1883 by Medley Fulford. Nave, chancel and north transept of rubblestone. Tower, south aisle and south porch of granite ashlar. Slate roofs with nave and chancel in one, projecting beyond south aisle. West tower of 2 stages with set back buttresses rising 8 subsidiary pinnacles which flank the 4 main pinnacles over the corners. Battlemented parapet. Moulded plinth to tower. West door of polyphant stone. 4-centred arch with heavy roll mould with quatrefoils and mouchetts in spandrels beneath hoodmould and labels. Double C19 plank door with elaborate strap hinges. C19 west window of 3-lights. Perpendicular tracery beneath 4-centred arch with hood and labels. In original opening. 3-light belfry opening beneath 4-centred arch. Nave, north wall; two 2-light freestone decorated windows beneath 2-centred arches with hoods and labels. _ North door with blocked opening between 2 windows. Elaborately moulded jambs and 2-centred arch with run-out stops. C19 buttress between north door and west window. North transept; 3-light north window with Decorated. tracery. Central roundel with cusped cinquefoil within. Decorated 3-light windows to north transept with raised central light. North window of chancel with renewed Decorated tracery of 2-lights in original 2-centred arched opening. Similar to south window of chancel. East window restored. 5-light Decorated window with central roundel pushing down central light below (cf Exeter cathedral choir circa 1288-1309 and west window circa 1346-1375). Pointed trefoils south chancel door with outer 4-centred arch with hood and labels possibly contemporary with south aisle. South aisle, Perpendicular 4-light east window beneath 4-centred arch with hood and labels. 4 identical 3-light Perpendicular windows in south wall with stepped buttresses between. Close similarities to Callington (cf Church of St Mary, Callington). South porch gabled with 4-centred arch with roll mould. Rectangular hood and labels with carved spandrels. Sundial above, 1655 inscribed 'Quotidie Morior'. South door in rectangular surround with heavy roll mould to 4-centred arch. Decorated spandrels. Remains of Holy water stoup to right with ogee cusped head. Interior circa late C15 unstained waggon roof to nave with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Carved timber wall plate with moulded stone plate beneath. Waggon roof to chancel with central longitudinal moulded rib. North transept with sealed waggon roof with carved bosses. Circa late C15 south aisle waggon roof with carved ribs, bosses and wall plate. 5-bay south arcade with segmental moulded arches on Type A (Pevsner) moulded piers. Tall moulded bases and elaborately moulded caps. Tower arch projects from moulded corbelled brackets. Segmental moulded arch with outer relieving arch. North transept arch, circa 1330s. Pointed with mouldings on arch dying out into jambs (cf Church of Sampson, South Hill). Furnishings C19. Oak pulpit circa 1700. Octagonal with carved panels and moulded cornice. Later base. Circa 1700 octagonal tester with moulded cornice. Circa C17 oak chair in chancel. Octagonal granite font, stem circa C14. Sedilia in chancel, circa 1340s, 2-centred arches with trefoils in spandrels. Decorated with carved bulbous foliage. Simple piscina to right of altar with ogee arch with cusping. Circa 1330s Piscina also in east wall of north transept. Tomb recess in north wall of north transept (q.v. Church of St Hugo, Quethiock). Decorated circa 1330s with ogee, cusped arch with bulbous finial above. On inner side of east window, Decorated niches with nodding ogee arches placed diagonally and bulbous crocketted finials. C19 Commandment boards with Lords Prayer and Creed in west end of nave. Painted plaster coat of arms, Charles II, 1660, on north wall of nave. Strap work. Monuments; Classical memorial to John Lyne, died 1791, rector of parish by Isbell. On north side of chancel. Directly to west, slate ledger stone in memory of John Saltren, died 1695. Central heraldic arms with lion rampant. Other ledger stones to Robert Soby, 1741; to son of Thomas Dodson of May, died 1669; to William Leane, 1700; John Saltren, 1663 and John Wrey, 1603. Glass in east window given in memory of Archdeacon Hobhouse. Brass plaques to Hobhouse family, (q.v. Chantry, St Ive). Slate memorial to the Wrey family 1597 (q.v. Trebeigh Manor) transferred to Tawstock in 1924. N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed. 1980

Listing NGR: SX3093867158

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SX 30939 67158

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 12:49:31.