List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MELLANUS

List entry Number: 1140815

Location

CHURCH OF ST MELLANUS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Mellion

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61428

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST MELLION ST MELLION SX 36 NE 8/217 Church of St Mellanus GV I

Parish church. Dedicated by Bishop Bronescombe in 1259. Site of Norman Church with remains possibly in nave, chancel and south transept walls. Nave, chancel and south transept partly rebuilt in circa mid C14. South transept partly rebuilt again in circa 1862. Tower circa mid C15 and north aisle circa mid to late C15. Porch circa early C16. Restored in 1862. Nave porch, chancel and south transept of stone - rubble. North aisle of large blocks of granite ashlar with stone rubble below moulded plinth. Tower of large blocks of coursed granite ashlar with Roborough stone moulded decoration. Slate roofs, nave and chancel in one. West tower of 3 stages with thin diagonal buttresses, battlement parapet and pinnacles. West door with moulded pointed arch with rectangular hoodmould. Quatrefoils in spandrels. Circa C16 or C17 studded double boarded door. 3-light Perpendicular window above with hollow chamfered jambs and arch. Continuous hoodmould. 3-light belfry openings with mid C15 Perpendicular tracery beneath 4-centred arch. Gargoyles in cornice below parapet on north and south sides. North aisle with 3-light Perpendicular tracery in east and west window with two, 3-light Perpendicular windows in rectangular surrounds on north wall. North door with 4-centred heavily hollow chamfered arch. C19 vestry projects form east end of north wall with reset 3-light Perpendicular window with cusped heads, hoodmould with square label stops. Chancel with 3-light Perpendicular tracery. South transept with C19 renewed late Decorated tracery. South window of transept renewed or heavily restored with 3-light window beneath 4-centred arch with hoodmould. Late reticulated tracery with quatrefoils above lights. 3-light Perpendicular window between south transept and south porch. Rectangular hoodmould. South porch with gabled end and thin diagonal buttresses and moulded string. Moulded almost round-headed granite arch with plain stops. Pointed moulded arch to south door with circa C16/C17 double boarded door, studded with strap hinges. Interior. North aisle and nave roofs intact with original sealed waggon roofs with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Moulded stone wall plates. North aisle with carved timber wall plate and moulded timber arcade plate. Nave with carved timber arcade plate with intertwined foliage divided by shields. South side unornamented. Chancel boarded with renewed wall plates and largely recarved bosses. South transept with probably renewed recarved bosses. South transept with probably renewed unsealed waggon roof. 5-bay north aisle with type A (Pevsner) moulded granite piers. Moulded bases carved capitals with'stylized decorations of abaci including banded rings, quatrefoils and horizontal, vertical and oblique lines. 4-centred arcade arches, moulded with double hollow chamfers. Tower arch almost stilted pointed with type A (Pevsner) mouldings to piers with tall moulded bases. South transept arch almost 4-centred with type A (Pevsner) mouldings to piers. Moulded capitals and bases. Furnishings largely C19 and C20. Early C17 pulpit, octagonal with carved pilasters and decorated round arches on panels. Moulded cornice. Renewed granite base. Circa 1330s piscinas with Decorated ogee cusped arches in south wall of south transept and in south wall of chancel. Octagonal font with octagonal shaft and square base. Monuments; In east end of north aisle, 2 monuments to Coryton family; to William Coryton, died 1651 and wife who died in 1646. Figures in aedicular surround, kneeling en face with prayer table between. Remains of ancient colour on figures. 2 pairs of marble columns with Composite capitals with similar pilasters and colum to rear support a richly moulded entablature decorated with cherubs heads in the frieze. Coffer-vaulted arch above surmounted by a broken pediment with a large painted coat of arms. Slate tablet with inscription to rear of figures. On tall moulded base. Further monument to Sir William Coryton, died 1711 and wife Susanna died 1695. With exception of dress of kneeling figures, the fluting of the columns and the design of the prayer table, the monument closely copies the design of that to William Coryton, 1651 and is thus a very late example of the type. Other monuments to Coryton family in south transept. Include those to John Coryton, died 1803 and Mary Jemima his wife, died 1779. Sarcophagus with urn; to John Tillie Coryton died 1843 and wife Elizabeth died 1824. Sarcophagus with inscription surmounted by urn and coat of arms; to William Coryton, died 1836. Simple well designed classical memorial by Thomas and Edward Gaffin; Brass in chancel to Peter Coryton, died 1551, in armour with wife Jane, daughter of John Tregasoo with 24 children below. Coloured heraldic arms. Marginal inscription. Clock in west tower presented by Charlotte Coryton of Pentillie castle, 1894. Church possibly stands on a Lan. Rev. H. Haines A Manual of Monumental Brasses 1861 rp 1970 N. Pevsner and E. Radcliffe The Buidings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed. 1972 J. Polsue Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974

Listing NGR: SX3884865576

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Polsue, J - Title: Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall - Date: 1872
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Haines, Reverend H - Title: A Manual of Monumental Brasses - Date: 1861 - Type:
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 38845 65575

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:45:51.