List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SAMPSON

List entry Number: 1140786

Location

CHURCH OF ST SAMPSON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySouth Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61458

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH HILL SOUTH HILL SX 37 SW 2/249 Church of St Sampson 21.8.64 GV I

Parish church and mother church of Callington. Dedicated in 1333. Nave, chancel, north transept and first 2 stages of tower circa 1330s. 4-bay south aisle and upper stage of tower circa C15. South porch circa late C15. Restored in 1871. Stone rubble with moulded plinth to nave, chancel, north transept and west tower. Corner buttresses to tower and north transept. Buttresses to chancel and nave. South porch of large blocks of granite ashlar. Granite ashlar to upper stage of tower. Slate roof with slightly higher ridge to chancel. Nave roof altered with evidence of higher roof marked on east side of tower. West tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses to first stage. Moulded plinth and strings. Battlemented parapet with pinnacles. West door, moulded 2 centred arch with triple cavetto mould with fillets between. Circa C17 door, vertically planked and studded with strap hinges. West window, restored. 2-lights with renewed cusped heads with quatrefoil above. Above, 2 single light openings with cusped heads. Slate fenestration with ventilation holes in shape of cross. 2-light belfry openings, Perpendicular tracery, west light slightly off centre. Slate panels. Frieze below parapet with band of Apostles in relief. Possibly angels on corners. Weather vane on south east pinnacle. Corrugated asbestos lean-to on north side of tower. Nave; north side, to west of transept, two 2-centred openings with C19 Decorated tracery. 2-lights with cusped heads with trefoils above and quatrefoil in centre. Hoodmoulds. To east, 2-light window with restored C19 geometric tracery beneath 2-centred arch which projects into west wall of north transept. North window of north transept in slightly blocked opening with pointed relieving arch. Circa C15 Perpendicular tracery beneath 4-centred arch with roll mould. Hoodmould. Opening on east of north transept blocked. Chancel; straight joint on north wall to east of north transept above plinth. Two 2-centred arched openings with restored simple tracery. Hoodmoulds. East window of 3-lights. Restored Decorated tracery of freestone with cusped heads and soufflets. 4 petal star above. South window of chancel, restored, 2-light Decorated window. East window of south aisle, Perpendicular 4-light window beneath 4-centred arch. South aisle with three 3-light Perpendicular circa C15 windows with granite tracery beneath 4-centred arches with hoodmoulds. Similar 3-light window to west of porch. South porch with 3-centred granite arch with moulded jambs comprising double roll mould. Moulded hood and labels. Sundial above, 184-. South door, 2-centred moulded arch. Roof; nave and north transept unstained king post trusses with arch braces. Chancel with original waggon roof with central moulded longitudinal rib and 3 painted shields South aisle, original stained waggon roof with moulded ribs and recently painted shields and carved bosses. 4 bay south aisle with tall moulded type A (Pevsner) piers. Moulded bases and caps with 4-centred moulded arches. Engaged pier on west far cruder with tall moulded base. Tower arch, 4-centred arch with mouldings to arch dying out to jambs (cf St Ive Parish Church). Squint between north transept (Manaton Chapel) and chancel. C19 furnishing. Norman font inscribed with Chi Rho sign. Round bowl decorative with tree of life and 2 long animals in profile. 4 figure heads at corners. Round shaft with 4 columns continuing from figure heads. Later base. Piscina at east end of north transept with cusped head. Badly eroded. Decorated circa 1330s piscina in south east corner of chancel. Ogee cusped arch. South window of chancel projects into earlier simple sedilia. 2 Decorated tomb recesses on north side of chancel. Circa 1330s. Ogeed arches with cusping and bulbous finials. Western recess pierced by squint from north transept. Table at west end of church, carved, circa C17. Monuments; Manaton chapel in north transept. Monument to John Manaton and wife 1507. In east wall Monument to Michael Hill, son of Michael Hill of Trenethick and Frances, daughter of Samuel Manaton of Manaton. 1663. Figure in aedicular frame with moulded cornice and marble columns. Figure in relief, half kneeling at library table, his head resting on his hand, and his elbow on a skull. Remains of ancient colour. Inscription below. North wall of nave, classical monument to Grace Parson, died 1778. Stencilled text around east window. Stencilled pattens on organ. 2 reset headstones on east wall of porch. To Sampson Lucas, died 1730 and to Joseph Lucas, died 1729. Latter engraved and signed by William Lucas. Bells; 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 4/5, 1698 cast by J. Pennington. (Not inspected) N. Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed. 1980 H B Walters Church of England. Schedule of Bells for Preservation 1978 J. Polsue Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974

Listing NGR: SX3295972624

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Other
Church of England Schedule of Bells for Preservation, (1978)

National Grid Reference: SX 32958 72626

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 07:28:26.