List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JULIAN

List entry Number: 1140716

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JULIAN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityMaker-with-Rame

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61699

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 45 SW MAKER-WITH-RAME

6/41 Church of St. Mary and St. Julian (formerly listed as Church of 23.1.68 Saints Julian and Macra)

GV I

Parish church. Circa 1500, possibly incorporating structure of earlier nave andchancel. Lead rain water head on tower dated 1745, sundial on porch dated 1768. C18 alterations included removal of almost all early granite window tracery, these were replaced with wooden tracery. Major restoration of 1874 included replacement of granite windows, removal of galleries including the Edgcumbe gallery in the nave, conversion of north transept to vestry and organ chamber and construction of outer south aisle to form the Edgcumbe south chapel, also re-roofing. Chancel east wall in random red sandstone rubble, possibly of early building; rest of church in coursed red sandstone rubble with granite dressings. Tower has granite ashlar parapet and buttresses, C19 slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and scalloped slate barge boards to gable ends. West tower, nave and chancel, with north and south aisles along whole length of nave and chancel. North transept, used as vestry and organ chamber. South porch and south Edgcumbe chapel to east end. Perpendicular style. 3-stage tower on moulded plinth has set-back buttresses with 3 engaged pinnacles at 3rd stage moulded string courses at first and 2nd stages, raised over west window; string course at 3rd stage beneath embattled parapet with coped merlons, large octagonal pinnacles with cusped panelled sides, surmounted by crocketted spirelets with cross finials. To west, 4-centred arched roll-moulded doorway with leaves in spandrels, hood mould with block stops, C19 door with strap hinges. 3-light C19 window above, with 4-centred arched head, cusped lights and upper tracery, relieving arch and hood mould with block stops; all C19 windows of this design. 2nd stage west has single ogee-headed light with 3 crocketted pinnacles, possibly originally image niche;to north a 2-light C15 Perpendicular window with 4-centred arch, cusped lights, relieving arch and hood mould; lancets at all stages to north lighting stair. At 3rd stage, 3-light C15 bell-openings, with cusped lights, slate louvres and upper tracery, hood mould and relieving arch. Set under parapet to north, C18 rain water head in lead, with 3 cherubs' heads and wings. Nave enclosed by aisle. East end of chancel has straight joint to left and right to aisles, straight joint to south chapel also. Chancel and aisles each have 3-light C19 window, north aisle at lower level. Fixed on chancel east wall, oval marble tablet to Maria Bint, 1787 and Jane Bint, 1795. 5-bay north aisle has 3 north windows, 2 to west and one to east of transept, all C19 3-light, with flat head and hood mould. Second bay from west end has blocked 4-centred arched doorway, convex-moulded. West end of aisle has gable stack formerly to heat C18 vestry and 3-light C19 window with 4-centred arched head. North transept has gable end stack heating C19 vestry with fireplace projection at base, and 3-light C19 window with 4-centred arched head. To east at lower level a basket-arched doorway with hood mould. South aisle has one south window to east of porch, C19 3-light with 4-centred arched head, 2 granite tablets fixed to wall of early C19. Gabled west end has 3-light window which appears to be of c. 1500, with ogee heads, upper tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Gabled south porch has raised coped verges and cross finial, 4-centred arched convex-moulded doorway with wrought-iron gates, slate sundial above with gnomon, dated 1768 SICUT UMBRA. Interior of porch has C19 arched-brace roof, holy water stoup set to right of door (found in churchyard 1923). Similar 4-centred arched inner doorway with C19 door with strap hinges, chamfered ogee image niche above door. 2-bay south chapel has 3-light C19 windows to south, one taller to west. Interior Tower has C19 framed ceiling in 9 panels; north west door to stair has hollow-chamfered 4-centred arch with C19 door. Tall 4-centred tower arch, with Cornish standard piers left and right. To left and right, nave wall has remains of moulded string course, possibly remaining from earlier nave. Nave and chancel roof in one, a wagon roof of 17 bays, with 2 rows of purlins and ridge purlin, carved ribs and bosses, C19 wall-plate; 4 east bays in chancel have early carved wall-plate with re-carved shield bosses. Round-arched opening at base of east wall of arcades to allow passage to north and south aisles. 5-bay arcade to north and south, with Cornish standard piers, 4-centred arches with 2-wave mouldings and one chamfered order. North aisle has 7½ bay C19 wagon roof with one row of purlins and ridge purlin, and bosses. At west end, segmental-headed fireplace lintel. Organ chamber set into opening to north transept, now vestry. South aisle has 9½ bay roof as in north aisle, hollow-chamfered rere-arched to windows. South wall opened in 1874 and 3-bay arcade inserted, with 4-centred arches and Cornish standard piers, more finely moulded, brought from Bere Alston. South chapel has 4-bay roof of arched-braces, one row of purlins and 2 tiers of windbraces, collar with 2 upper struts. Fittings: font in nave, brought from St. Merryn; Norman, of Bodmin type, with 5 supports, corner busts and snake convolutions in between. Pews etc all of late C19, including Edgumbe screen across chancel. Hatchment in tower recording benefactions to the parish, 1986. Board from Incorporated Society for Building of Churches recording grant of £30 in 1873. Monuments in tower: 3 slate ledger stones, to William Phisick, 1707, Elizabeth Tucker, 1722 and Robert Salmon, 1682, granite ledger stone to Elizabeth Canniford,1809. In north aisle: marble tablet with scrolled pedimental top, to S.C. Avery, 1882, by J. Honey of Plymouth; marble tablet with foliage around border, scrolled top with urn, on oval slate ground with wreath of bay leaves, by L. Kendall of Exeter, to Edward Hunt, 1787; small oval slate tablet to Grace Ayres, 1766; marble tablet to Rev. Samuel Whiddon, who died while preaching in the church, 1866; marble monument with curved apron and shield, plain pilasters and cornice to Joseph Hunt, commanding the Unicorn, killed in an engagement with a French frigate, aged 28, 1761. In south aisle: oval slate tablet to Judith Rowe, 1784; fine baroque monument with slate inscription panel on plinth with lower frieze of skull and crossed bones, marble Ionic columns to sides; original paint remaining, frieze with painted ovals and diamonds, entablature with gilt lion masks, surmounted by central shield with shields to sides, with verses, to John Ingram, 1669; fine baroque monument with slate inscription panel with apron with carve skull with batwings, central panel flanked by draped female figures, round-headed pediment with figure of mother and child in tympanum, quatrain: 'O youth and all prepare to die...' to Phill and Elizabeth Triggs, 1664. In Edgcumbe chapel: marble tablet on plinth with sarcophagus, scrolled segmental-headed pediment with shield and flanking hounds, bust on plinth against triangular coloured marble ground, surmounted by draped urn, to Richard, first Lord Edgcumbe, 1758. Pair of white marble tablets with coloured marble surround, plain pilasters, plinth and pediment with board in tympanum, surmounted by coronet with acroteria, to Richard, 2nd Lord Edgcumbe, 1761 and George, first Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, 1795. Slate tablet with Latin inscription, to Sir Richard Edgcumbe, 1638. Remains of slate ledger stone of C17, to Edgcumb. Marble monument with shield on plinth, frieze and pediment with acroteria, to Sophia, Countess of Mount Edgcumbe, 1806. Marble tablet in slate surround with Vitruvian scroll to base, to Richard, Earl Mount Edgcumbe, 1839. Slate ledger stone, set on wall, with cental panel with verse and shield, to Piers Edgcumbe Esq. 1607. Baroque marble monument to William Henry, 4h Earl Mount Edgcumbe, 1917. Pair of oval marble tablets on slate ground, to John Boger, 1783 and Elizabeth Boger, 1804. Glass all of late C19. In the C18, the tower was used as a naval signalling station. (Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970)

Listing NGR: SX4463351991

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SX 44633 51992

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 08:55:39.