List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1140579

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySheviock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61966

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 35 NE SHEVIOCK SHEVIOCK

2/314 Church of St Mary 23.1.68 GV I

Parish church. C13 tower, early C14 nave and chancel; between 1350 and 1370, north and south transepts were built by Lady Emmeline Dawney and Sir Edward Courtney. In late C15, the north transept was replaced by a north aisle with north porch. Chancel restored 1850 and nave and rest of church 1871, by G.E. Street. Inner door of south porch dated 1723, south porch sundial dated 1780 and rainwater heads dated 1902. Slatestone rubble, in larger blocks in north aisle and north porch. Stone dressings in metamorphic stone of the C13 and C14, granite in the C15 north aisle and porch, limestone in C19 restoration. C19 slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and raised coped verges in limestone. West tower, nave and chancel in one, south porch and south transept. North aisle and north porch. Early English style in C14 building and C19 building, C15 Perpendicular style. Tower in 2 stages, unbuttressed, with spire. To west a granite lancet set low, and small limestone carved head set above; the 2nd stage is stepped back, with a lancet in metamorphic stone with bell louvres and relieving arch to each side. Octagonal broach spire in rubble with broaches set back at corners over cornice, with small lucarne in metamorphic stone at 4 alternate sides. Top of spire rebuilt circa early C19 in granite ashlar with finial and weathervane. Nave has rubble weathered buttress to south west, and 2-light window to each side of porch, of C19 limestone with Y tracery and upper quatrefoil, relieving arch in metamorphic stone. Steep gabled south porch has weathered angle buttresses in rubble and tall 4-centred arched rubble doorway, slate sundial over with gnomon, dated 1780, raised coped verges and cross finial. Single bay gabled south transept with similar rubble angle buttresses, raised coped verges and cross finial, has C19 south window of 4 lights, with cusped lights and upper tracery, hood mould and relieving arch. 3-light window to east and west, with cusped lights and 3 upper quatrefoils, relieving arch; east window has some stonework remaining from C14 window. 2-bay chancel, on plinth to east, with weathered rubble buttresses and angle buttresses, these have metamorphic stone weatherings. Large C19 5-light east window with hood mould and relieving arch, 2 similar 2-light windows to south; raised coped verges and cross finial. North aisle of 6 bays, has east window in granite, of 4 lights, with hollow chamfered mullions and surround, cusped lights with upper Y tracery, 4-centred arch with hood mould and stops. Granite kneelers to raised coped verges and cross finial. The north side has 3-light granite windows, all with cusped lights and upper tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould with stops. Between the 4 windows to left, rood stair with small lancet and roof pitch extended from pitch of main roof. C19 4-light west window in limestone with hood mould over 4-centred arch. Second bay from west has gabled north porch of late C15, with raised coped verges and cross finial, 2-centred arched granite doorway with roll-moulding and recessed spandrels, flat head. Interior of porch has original roof of arched braces with purlins and collar purlin, moulded, with moulded bosses and wall-plate. Inner doorway in granite, hollow-chamfered with 4-centred arch, carved leaves in spandrels and wave-moulded surround. Plain C19 door and image shelf above. Wrought iron gate across outer doorway. Interior Tower has narrow pointed rubble arch with impost mouldings, deep splayed reveal and rere arch to west lancet. Nave and chancel have C19 wagon roof, 3 bays in chancel with brattished collars and plain king posts. In the nave, the south windows have rere-arches. Holy water stoup by south door. Tall wide 4-centred arch to south transept, in limestone, with wave-moulded shafts with caps to sides. 6-bay granite arcade between the nave and chancel and the north aisle; this has 4-centred arches with wave and hollow mouldings. Cornish standard piers with mouldings to abaci ingeometric designs. Chancel has 3 C19 sedilia to south and ogee-headed cusped piscina. East window has nook shafts, and at base of shaft to left an image niche with nodding ogee head, cusped, with moulded surround. Aumbry to north with foliage- carved corbel. South squint to transept. Transept has C19 roof of arched braces and collars. In east wall an ogee-headed cusped piscina. Along the south wall, twin funeral recesses, plain tomb-chests with quatrefoil decoration, with a knight and a lady, supposed to be Lady Emmeline Dawney and Sir Edward Courtenay, c 1375; above the figures is a coving, and blank cusped arches. The south porch has plain inner door with re-used earlier handles, wave-moulded surround in limestone, C19 arched- brace roof. The north aisle has 14-bay wagon roof of C15 with moulded ribs, 2 rows of purlins and ridge purlin, with carved bosses and wall-plate. Sockets for draw-bar across north door. Rood stair has 4-centred arched lower door in stepped surround, stone newel stair to upper door with 4-centred arch, hollow-chamfered with run-out stops. Tomb recess under window by rood stair, with effigy of a knight, Sir Hugh Courtenay, c. 1375, on tomb-chest with quatrefoil decoration. East end of aisle used as vestry/organ chamber, east window has nook shafts with carved caps. Fittings: pews in nave and aisle and transept have carved bench ends, some of late C15 in Renaissance style, and some of C19 restoration. Late C19 carved wooden pulpit in nave. Circular stone bowl font in nave. C16 stocks in north aisle. 2 slate hatchments in north aisle with the Creed and the Lord's Prayer. C19 polychromatic tiles on chancel floor. Monuments, all in north aisle: marble tablet on slate ground, with round head and urn, to John Wallis, 1780; slate tablet with pilasters and marble cornice, by J. Croad, to Samuel Deeble, 1759; marble tablet with pedimental top and acroterial ornaments, to George Duckworth, 1811; marble tablet on slate ground with pediment with open book and putto below, by J. Bacon of London, to Penelope Fanshawe, 1814; slate tablet with border and principal names painted in gold, to Jane Littleton, 1773; marble tablet on slate ground with rounded pediment and apron, urn to top, to William Dunrich, 1794. East window of north lisle has fragment of mediaeval glass showing the head of the Virgin; south window of the chancel has fragment of mediaeval glass with the Courtenay coat-of-arms. Rood stair lancel has lattice glazing probably of late C15. Chancel east window with stained glass by Wailes to the designs of Street. (Sources: Radcliffe, E. : Buildings of England : Cornwall 1970)

Listing NGR: SX3701655093

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SX 37017 55092

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 09:00:57.