List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GERMANUS

List entry Number: 1140544

Location

CHURCH OF ST GERMANUS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Germans

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62087

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST GERMANS CHURCH STREET (north side), SX 35 NE St Germans 7/90 (17/65) Church of St Germanus 23.1.68 GV I

Parish church. C12, consecrated in 1261, south chapel of late C14, extended in C15; north aisle rebuilt 1888, with other alterations. Slatestone rubble, greenstone and sandstone dressings, slate roofs. Plan: Nave and chancel in one, 2 west towers with south west porch set in the angle and leading into the south aisle. North transept and vestry. The nave has a porch under a gable at the west end, with fine Norman door, double doors; in the upper gable end 3 round arched lights with nook shafts. Tower to south west, in 3 stages, with string courses and embattled parapets, pilasters at first and second stages, round arched lancets; 2-light 4-centred arched bell-openings at 3rd stage with cusped lights and wooden louvres, clock to north and south, dated 1781. Tower to north west, in 3 stages, with clasping buttresses at first and second stage rising to broach to the top octagonal stage with embattled parapet. Round-headed lancets; east door in greenstone with stepped rounded arch and jamb shafts. C19 door with strap hinges. The north side of the nave and chancel has embattled parapet, nave has two 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Embattled parapet to vestry. The south aisle is of 4 bays with embattled parapet and weathered buttresses. Four 4-light windows, all with 4-centred arches, upper tracery and hood mould; Tudor arched door to east. Two 3-light Perpendicular style windows at the east end, and upper 3-light similar window. South west porch has moulded cornice and embattled parapet. 4-centred arched door to south with hood mould. 4-centred arched west doorway with quatrefoils in spandrels, roll-moulded with hood mould; mask gargoyles. Chancel has 5-light east window with transom, all trefoil-headed lights with Perpendicular tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Interior: Unplastered walls. Nave and chancel in one, with C19 wagon roof. 7-bay south arcade of round piers with fluted abaci, 4-centred arches, 3 arches to west stepped, other moulded; similar columns with stepped arch to north, formerly to the family pew, now organ chamber. One clerestorey window with chevron jambs above the south arcade. South aisle has similar C19 roof. East piscina with ogee hood, sedilia with gabled crocketed hood and tomb recess with ogee hood. Second tomb recess with ogee hood in main south wall of aisle. Holy water stoup by west door. South west tower has round arch to aisle, with round columns with fluted abaci, clustered columns to east and north. Similar stepped arch with clustered columns to north west tower. Fittings: font in nave. Misericord in south aisle. Royal Arms dated 1660 in south aisle. Eliot arms in nave. Monuments: In north west tower, the Rysbrack monument to Edward Eliot, 1772; marble sarcophagus to Susan Countess of St Germans, 1830. In nave: slate tablet with acrostic inscription in Latin to Ionhannes Minister, 1631; marble tablet to Walter Moyle, 1701; pair of marble monuments with broken pediments and pilasters, to John Glanville, 1735 and Elizabeth Glanville, 1748. In south aisle: marble ledger stone to Ann Eliot, 1723; monument by Westmacott, to John, first Earl St Germans, 1823; slate ledger stones to Richard Boger, 1733 and Sarah Nanjulian, 1778. Glass: chancel east window has stained glass, dedicated 1896, by E. Burne Jones. For further details, see sources: Radcliffe, E. Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Spence, J.E.: St Germans Priory Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SX3594057753

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Spence, J E - Title: St Germans Priory Cornwall
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 35942 57751

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 03:35:25.