List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

List entry Number: 1140379

Location

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, ST STEPHEN'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySaltash

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Nov-1982

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60462

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST STEPHEN'S ROAD 1. 5155 Church of St Stephen (formerly listed under St Stephen) SX 4158 5/2 17.1.52 GV 2. The C13 church on this site was probably replaced by the present building in the C15. It is built in local stone with 3 aisles, 5 bays and a tall 3 stage north-west tower with set back buttresses and crenellations. The tower has an angled stair turret to north. The belfry windows have pierced slate filling. The north and west windows appear early Perpendicular in style. Slate roof (dated 1866). Gabled vestry to north-east (contemporary with north aisle). Gabled south porch with handsome mouldings to archway. On the exterior is an elegant incised slate slab on south-west corner. Interior: porch has good waggon roof with bosses, 3 aisles have waggon roofs rood loft opening: south-west wall of middle chancel. Font is Norman square with carved sides and 5 supports, similar to others in Cornwall, see Bodmin, SS. Nicholas and Faith in Saltash itself. 2 elaborate c 1600 monuments in north-east corner, in slate (Hitchens family) and another early C17 relief monument in a flat niche. Numerous wall monuments. Very brightly painted c 1900 7 bay Gothic style reredos. Mediaeval coffin lid in north-west corner of nave. Until 1881 this was the Parish Church of Saltash although fully a mile from the centre.



Listing NGR: SX4165558278

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 41700 58334

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 12:47:04.