List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1140324

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityBroadoak

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60533

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 16 SE BRADOC BRADOC (OR BROADOAK)

4/31 Church of St Mary the Virgin

21/8/64 GV I

Parish Church. Cruciform church of Norman origins. Early remains in west tower rebuilt in circa C13 with later tracery. North transept restored in mid C19. Nave probably late C13, south aisle circa C15, porch probably late C15 and vestry mid C19 to east of north transept. East end of south aisle rebuilt possibly during mid C19 restoration. Rubble stone with slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one with continuous roof. 5-bay south aisle not quite full length of nave. East window 4 light Perpendicular with hood mould and drips. Similar east window to south aisle. Nave north window, 3-lights with cusped heads in square surround possibly partly reused and reset in C19. Evidence of north door. 4 Perpendicular 3-light windows to south aisle with hood moulds and drips. West window of south aisle 3-light Perpendicular with hood moulds and drips. Gabled south porch. 4-centred arch with roll mould in square surround. Sundial dated 1660 above. 4-centred arch to south door with roll mould and chamfered jambs. North transept, north window C19 with rounded heads to 3 lights. Square headed C19 door on east side. West tower on early stone plinth. Unbuttressed in two stages, battlemented with crocketted finials. Pointed chamfered arch to west door with chamfered jambs. Pointed west window under hood mould with late reticulated tracery, circa mid C14. 2-light rectangular bell openings with louvres. Vestry; C19 shouldered arch to entrance on north and 2-light cusped C19 window on east. Interior; arcade to south aisle, 5 bays with type A (Pevsner) granite piers with elongated bases and octagonal flat capitals. Waggon roof to porch, nave, south aisle and chancel. Restored and partly replaced in 1926. Round headed tower arch. Two 4-centred arches to north transept with heavy moulded piers, circa C16 and renewed capitals. Possibly resited. Nave, south aisle and chancel reseated in late C19. Earlier seating in north transept. Circa C16 oak bench ends have been incorporated into east side of front benches to nave and south aisle. These include a figure of Father Time, 2 figures of saints and instruments of the passion. Rood screen; circa C16. 2 sections of base remain with 4 panels on north and 6 on south in later surround. Panels divided by twisted engaged columns with castellated capitals. The panels include intertwined renaissance foliage, serpents and heads. Upper part has been used as a parclose screen in Boconnoc Church (q.v. Boconnoc Church). Norman pentewan stone font with renewed granite base. Round shaft and cushion head with carved heads on corners. Tree of life on one face with palmettes on other three. Timber pulpit, circa C16, on renewed stone base. Hexagonal with oak carved panels with rounded arches. Intertwined foliage and heraldic arms. Alabaster reredos depicting Last Supper, presented in 1911. 2 painted Commandment boards on south wall of north transept with Lord's Prayer and Creed on ogee-headed boards on east and west walls. Glass: South aisle; early heraldic glass in upper lights of windows. Arms of Pitt, Fortescue and Ryder families. East window, 1878, in memory of G M Fortescue. Unusual carved screen at west end with beak-head figures at base of muntins. Panels depicting stiff figures including woman with serpent, 3 faces (1 en face, 2 in profile) and 2 figures facing each other. Pevsner compares them with Volkskunst of the C18. Village stocks at west end. Bradoc Churchyard possibly a Lan (oval embanked churchyard).

Sources: C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide 1925 r p 1964 N Pevsner and E Radcliffe Buildings of England, Cornwall, 1970, 2nd edition. Kelly's Directory, 1889 Bradoc Church, Points of Interest (Church Guide)

Listing NGR: SX1623062113

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Bradoc Church Points of Interest
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Henderson, C - Title: The Cornish Church Guide - Date: 1925
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1889 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 16228 62114

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 06:40:43.