List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CIRICUS AND JULITTA

List entry Number: 1140311

Location

CHURCH OF ST CIRICUS AND JULITTA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Veep

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60605

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 15 SW ST VEEP

8/103 Church of St Ciricus and Julitta

21/8/64 GV I

Parish church, church enlarged and partly rebuilt prior to 1336 when rededicated by Bishop Grandisson. Tower, south aisle, porch and south door of this date. North aisle and south chapel probably circa C15. Said to have been cruxiform plan before 1336. Rubblestone with slate roofs with nave and chancel in one with continuous roof. 5 bay south aisle with south chapel under another single roof, not quite full length of chancel. 4 bay south aisle continuing to west end of south chapel. Moulded tower plinth. Differing plinth to south aisle and south porch, to south aisle chapel, to chancel and to north aisle. Octagonal rood stair turret on east end of south aisle. Angle buttress on north-east and north-west corners of north aisle. Much tracery replaced in late C19 and C20 and restored. South aisle west window, replaced 3-light Perpendicular tracery. South aisle with 4 Perpendicular 3-light windows with cusped heads beneath rectangular hood. Window on east of south aisle C19 restoration. South priests door with 4-centred arch with slight cavetto mould. East end of south aisle, 3-light Perpendicular window with tracery partly replaced. Similar to east window. 3-light window to east of north aisle replaced. North aisle with four 3-light Perpendicular windows beneath 4-centred arches. C19 restoration and replacement. Tower of 2 stages with thick stepped angle buttress, battlemented cornice without pinnacles. Staircase projection on north side with small rectangular slit openings. 2-centred arch to west door with moulded jambs stopped on right. Base eroded and partly replaced on left. Hood with round stops. 3-light Perpendicular window above in 2-centred arch with hood and drips. Moulded jambs. Tracery partly restored. 2-light trefoiled belfry openings with slate louvres beneath rectangular hoods on 4 faces. South porch with 2-centred granite arch with moulded jambs with double roll with cavetto between. Hood with carved labels. South door with 2-centred granite arch with double roll mould and cavetto similar but on a slightly smaller scale than outer door. Rounded arch to niche above south door with inscription dated 1773. C18 south door. 5 bay arcade to south aisle with granite piers with 4 demi shafts with 4 sharply keeled minor shafts between. Heavy moulded round capitals and wide 2-centred arches to arcade. To east end, east bay of arcade with 4-centred arch springing from engaged Pevsner type A moulding to east. 4 bay arcade to north aisle with 4 demi shafts with 4 minor shafts between. Capitals more angular with carved faces and 4- centred arches to arcade. Earlier responds. Original waggon roof in porch with ornate reused bosses in porch (cf pulpit). Waggon roof to nave, aisles and chancel plastered. Carved contemporary wall plates on moulded stone wall plate. Tower arch slightly pointed, unmoulded. Chamfered tower door with stops. Squint between north aisle and chance. 5 bench ends circa 1520 in south aisle chapel. Nave and chancel reseated. C15 font of elvan stone. Octagonal with faces decorated with trefoil and quatrefoils in roundels. Waisted with octagonal base. Simple C18 timber pulpit further ornamented with roof carvings from Oxford Colleges comprising classical foliage festoons, cartouches and crossed keys. Similar to reused bosses in porch. Painted Royal arms of Charles II, 1661 in north wall of chancel and Royal arms of George III c.1780 to east of south door. Restored in 1977. Memorials: above south door in south aisle to Nicholas Courtney, Gent, 1589. Peal of 6 bells cast in 1770 and dedicated to St Veep. Cast by Pennington of Bradford in meadow opposite church yard. Virgin peal, that is they come from the moulds in perfect tune. No other examples in England. Bell frame 1936. Churchyard probably a lan. Advowsen attached to manor of Manely at time of conquest. C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide, 1925 Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889 N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall, rp 1970 Church Guide

Listing NGR: SX1400154991

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of St Ciricus and Julitta St Veep Church Guide
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Henderson, C - Title: The Cornish Church Guide - Date: 1925
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1889 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 14004 54993

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 02:53:05.