List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD AND ST DILP

List entry Number: 1140179

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD AND ST DILP

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityLandulph

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60896

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANDULPH SX 46 SW 6/149 Church of St Leonard and St Dilp 23.1.68 GV I Parish church. Probably C14, on earlier foundation; tower probably early C15, with aisles of later C15. Late C19 restoration, including raising of the nave roof to form a clerestory. Slate roofs with raised coped verges, ridge tiles and cross finials. Plan: Nave and chancel in one. West tower, probably added in the early C15. North aisle and south aisle with south porch of later C15. C19 alterations include rebuilding of the roof over the nave to form a clerestory and the addition of a vestry to the east of the south aisle. Exterior: The chancel east end has a 3-light C19 window, with 4-centred arch and breather above. East end of each aisle has similar window with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery, central light taller, of C15. Single storey C19 vestry. The north aisle is on a plinth, with diagonal buttresses and weathered buttresses, of 4 bays. The west bay has a chamfered, 4-centred arched doorway. The other 3 bays have windows as at the east end and similar west window with breather above; single storey lean-to at the west end. South aisle of 5 bays, with the porch in the west bay; similar buttresses and west window. To east, 4 similar windows and central projecting rood stair tower with lancet. Gabled south porch has 4-centred arched greenstone doorway with chamfered jamb shafts and cast iron gates. Slate sundial with gnomon over, set by John Wymond and John Hodge, churchwardens, 1767. Interior of porch has C19 slate floor and granite benches to sides, C19 wagon roof. Inner doorway has 4-centred arch with roll and hollow mouldings and hood mould, C19 double doors and image niche above. West tower in 3 stages, with string courses, weathered set-back buttresses through 2 stages and diagonal buttresses at the third stage; embattled parapet with pinnacles and polygonal north stair tower. West doorway has 4-centred arch, with rounded jambs with shaft rings, hood mould and relieving arch; C19 double doors. 3-light C15 west window, with 3-centred arched lights and upper tracery, hood mould and relieving arch. Second stage north and south a single 3-centred arched light with hood mould and relieving arch. Third stage has 2-light bell-openings with 3-centred arched lights, slate louvres, hood mould and relieving arch. Interior: Tall 4-centred tower arch in banded slatestone. Slate paved floors and plastered walls. Nave and chancel have C19 wagon roofs, with three 3-light cusped windows in the clerestorey; north and south aisles also have wagon roofs, reconstructed in C19 using earlier bosses; in the south aisle principal rafters and pendants also retained. The tower has a north door to the stair tower, with chamfered 4-centred arch door with iron bands and studs. 5-bay arcade to north and south with octagonal piers with ring mouldings, 4-centred arches, chamfered and stopped. Above the north arcade are 2 corbels from the former roof-line, and at the chancel are 2 corbels to north and south with carved masks, the springing for the former chancel arch. The south aisle has a 4-centred arched doorway to the rood stair, with stone newel stair and upper opening; corresponding opening above the north and south arcades. The south aisle has an east doorway, with pointed arch, possibly formerly a priest's door, now leading into the C19 vestry. Chancel has cusped piscina and aumbry. Rood screen of 1929. Fittings: Octagonal stone front in north aisle, with central pillar and 4 outer shafts; dated 1660, with inscriptions carved around the bowl; the font itself is of earlier date. Pews in north aisle and south aisle with C15 bench ends. C18 alms box in south aisle. The rood screen incorporates part of the C15 screen. At the west end, panelling with unicorn finials, formerly the Lower family's box pew, dated 1631, with fine carving on the panelling, set on the base of the C15 rood screen. Royal arms of George II in south aisle, oil on board in scrolled surround. Early C18 ringers' verses in tower, oil on board in bolection-moulded frame. Hatchment with coat of arms dated 1736 in south aisle. Letter of thanks from Charles I in north aisle, oil on board in scrolled ovolo-moulded frame. Pair of medals in case in north aisle, from South Africa 1853 and Pekin 1860, from Samuel Crook. Three C17 pewter flagons in case in the north aisle. Early C19 unidentified portrait of a man in the north aisle. Monuments in south aisle; oval slate tablet with floral surround, by H. Grills, to William Roberts, 1798; slate tablet to George Roberts, 1802; slate tablet to Richard Roberts, 1803; slate tablet to Joan...., 1782; pair of brass tablets in stone ovolo- moulded surround with some ancient colour, with stone skull and hourglass, to Sir Nicholas Lower, 1695 and Dame Elizabeth Lower, 1638; stone chest tomb with marble lid, carved with coat of arms and unicorn crest, to sir Nicholas Lower, 1655; stone tablet to Elizabeth Roberts, 1654; brass tablet to Theodore Palaeologus, died at Clifton, with shouldered nowy head on moulded plinth, with several inscriptions, of C18; slate tablet to Joseph Symons, 1801. In tower: slate tablet with shaped head and trumpeting angel carved in relief, to Fitz Anthony Pennington, Bell-founder of Lezant, with quatrain, 1768. Glass: South aisle window retains fragments of mediaeval glass, with shields of arms and the unicorn crest of the Lower family. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX4199663132

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SX 43112 61512

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 09:26:29.