List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HUGH OF LINCOLN

List entry Number: 1140035

Location

CHURCH OF ST HUGH OF LINCOLN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityQuethiock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61331

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 36 SW QUEThIOCK QUETHIOCK

12/132 Church of Saint Hugh of Lincoln (formerly listed as Church of Saint 23.1.68 Hugo of Avalon)

GV I

Parish church. Record is 1259 of rebuilding or enlargement and rededication to SS Peter and Paul. In 1288 after further rebuilding, church was dedicated to St Hugh. Ordination of benefice 1346. Possibly Norman cruciform church rebuilt in circa early to mid C14. Base of tower possibly late C12. Tracery of lower stage C13. Tower strengthened with when belfry added, circa late C14. North aisle circa C15. Restored in 1878-79. Architect Elliot of Plymouth. Rev W Willimott, rector (1878-1888) responsible for much of carving, painting and stained glass. Stone rubble with slate roofs. Cruciform plan with north aisle added. Shallow north transept projection beyond north aisle. Tall thin west tower of 2 stages above roof of broader nave. Staircase tower adjoining on south side with saddleback roof. Tower with short corner buttresses on north west and south west corners. Battlemented parapet. West door with 4-centred granite arch with moulded jambs. C19 door with ornate strap hinges. West window with Decorated 3-light tracery in 2- centred arch with hoodmould. Above, round-headed window of 1-light. 2-light belfry opening with cusped heads and slate louvers. Parapet coping to south west at height of original nave roof. Line of original roof marked on east side of tower. Staircase tower with small, single light openings with square and cusped heads. North aisle with 5 complete circa mid C15 Perpendicular granite windows of 3-lights beneath 4-centred arches with hoodmoulds. Shallow north transept projection with corner buttresses. Circa mid C15 3-light Perpendicular granite window beneath pointed relieving arch for circa C14 2-centred arched opening. To east of transept further 2-light window in rectangular surround. Chancel projects beyond east end of north aisle. Restored Decorated east window of 3-lights with quatrefoils above. 2-centred arch. On south side of chancel, probably C19 Geometric tracery and C19 lancet window with cusped head. Rood loft projection in junction with south transept. East window of south transept C15 tracery as on south aisle. South transept window similar to that in north transept. Sundial above, inscribed E. Morshead vicar by John Retallick 1764. To west of south porch, 2-light Geometric tracery with cusped heads and roundel above. South porch with gable end. Moulded 2- centred arch with hoodmould. Interior Waggon roof in original untreated state to nave. Richly moulded ribs of several different patterns with only 1 common rib between. Chancel roof with simple ribs of original waggon roof with later applique motifs nailed on. South transept roof partly replaced retaining Renaissance motifs with initials IHS and Tudor knots. North aisle with original roof with moulded ribs, stone moulded rail and wall plate. Original waggon roof in south porch. 4-bay north arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers, tall moulded bases, octagonal banded capitals and 4-centred granite arches. 2- centred tower arch with mid C14 Decorated rerearch to west window. South transept with mid C14 Decorated 2-centred arch with double hollow chamfer. North transept arch probably reused and reconstructed to form 4-centred arch. Similar moulding to south transept arch. Furnishings mainly C19 with C19 pulpit. 6 well carved panels to chancel screen with depictions of crucifixion in relief. By Rev W Willimott, circa 1879. Rev W Willimott also responsible for tiling the east wall of chancel with 10 Commandments and decorative motifs. Good example of type. Panel with painting of Last Supper above. Large Squint between south transept and chancel. Also with access to rood-loft staircase. Drawing of proposed C19 rood screen in north aisle. In north transept (probably the Trecorne aisle) circa 1330s funeral recess (cf Church of St Ivo, St Ive). Ogee arch with crocketted finials. Recess in south end of south transept (Trehunsey aisle) undecorates. Piscinas to east of south door with cusped head, in east end of north aisle also with cusped head and on east side of south transept with 2-centred moulded arch. Square font of Pentewan stone with chamfered corners and round bowl on later octagonal base. Restored. Monuments; on north side of chancel to Obadiah Gossop, Rector of St Tudy died 1659. Traces of ancient paint. Carved with relief of hand from Heaven with sickle. Others to William Stephens with date covered. Altar tomb of Hugh Vashmond, died 1599 erected by Hugh Vashmond of the younger 1607. Well carved with inscription. Brasses; to Roger Kyndgon 1395-1471. On chancel floor by pulpit in front of south transept. Effigies of Rogenis Kyndon and wife 'Joh'na' with 11 sons and 5 daughters. Eldest son Edward in robes with coronet on left shoulder. Documents held in Tower of London dated 1461 and 1484 record him as Yeoman of the Guard. Other examples of crown keepers or Yeoman bearing crown on left shoulder include James Tornay, 1519 in Slapton, Bucks and Thomas None, 1567, Shottesbrooke, Berks. Brass to Richard and Isabel Chiverton, engraved 1631. On west wall of south transept. Effigies of Richard and Isabel with 11 children. Family arms impaling those of Polwhele removed. Inscriptions and epitaph. Flooring; chancel relaid in 1878-9 with Minton encaustic tiles and nave, aisle and transepts with Webb's Worcester tiles. Stained glass by Rev William Willimott. Vigorous and worthy of note. Early glass incorporated into east window of south transept. North windows depict St Cadoc building Abbey of Llancarvon; preaching in Quethiock by ancient cross; conversion of St Paul on the way to Damascus. Chancel windows depict Ascension, Nativity, Baptism and window with St Hugh with tame swan. Trehunsey Aisle (south transept) with ride into Jerusalem; Transfiguration and Last Supper West window with Last Judgement. Bell tower restored in 1967. Not inspected. Three bells inscribed 'John Retallick and Ricardus Bond c.w. 1725 vicar Daniel Baudris'. 'Thomas Hancock and John Body c.w. 1765 vicar E. Morshead'. 'John Rogers and Thomas Kelly c.w. 1786 vicar E. Morshead'. Parish stocks in south porch. Church stands on lan. Rev H. Haines A Manual of Monumental Brasses 1861 rp 1970 D. A. Henwood The Parish Church of Quethiock 1970 N. Pevsner and E. Radcliffe The Buildings of England. Cornwall 2nd ed. 1970 J. Polsue Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1967-73 rp 1974

Listing NGR: SX3129964746

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Henwood, D A - Title: The Parish Church of Quethiock - Date: 1970
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Polsue, J - Title: Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall - Date: 1872
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Haines, Reverend H - Title: A Manual of Monumental Brasses - Date: 1861 - Type:
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 31301 64746

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 09:18:56.