List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1139977

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Stockton-on-TeesUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59456

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 4419 SE STOCKTON ON TEES HIGH STREET (east side) 28/55

19.1.51 Church of as St.Thomas

Replaces mediaeval chancery dedicated. to St Thomas of Canterbury. Built 1710-12 reportedly with advice from Wren. Restored 1893, reseated and chancel added by R J Johnson in 1906. Site chapel and choir vestry added by W D Caroe 1925. 6 bay aisled nave with west tower and taller 3 bay chancel (ie taller than nave). Built of brick with stone dressings, quoins, moulded string to parapet and moulded coping. Round leaded windows each containing a round leaded lancel (original tracery pattern) and with long aprons below. Lead rainwater heads between most windows, one on north side dated 1712. Low pitched roof (no clerestory) over nave and aisles with half gables flanking west tower. 3 stage tower with corner pinnacles and round leaded louvre belfry style windows. Moulded string over clock stage. West doorway restored: round headed with segmental pediment open to fanlight, joined by ramped apron to window above which is capped by a pediment. A small version of this on south door segmental eaved architrave with heavy label and shortened window above. 3 bay south chapel with a similar door - reused from position also on south side. Taller early C20 chancel in heavy "Wrenaissance" style. Brick with brick piers. Stone dressed oeils-de-boeuf windows. 2 blocked doorways to south. At the east end a large round leaded window with a concave jamb and an armorial cartouche above breaking into open pediment stone balustrade at sides with ball finials to dies; east end pediment has urns at base and cross at apex. Vestries etc, on north side. Interior: square piers to arcade, composite to rib vaulted south chapel. Top lit aisles, galleries removed. Variety of good carved C19 and C20 bench ends to good oak pews (including the Stockton-Darlington railway). Rich woodwork in chancery. Early C18 lectern and upper part of a 3 deck pulpit. Altar rails made from drift oak collected by Captain William Christopher while on Captain Cook's voyage to Hudson's Bay. Single storey new aisle to south of chancel.

Listing NGR: NZ4457119253

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 44572 19251

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 09:07:45.