List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

List entry Number: 1139604

Location

CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, BIRTLES LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityOver Alderley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58327

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 87 SE OVER ALDERLEY C.P. BIRTLES LANE (West Side)

8/161 Church of St Catherine

14/4/1967 II*

Church: dated 1840 for Thomas Hibbert, became parish church 1890. English garden wall bond red brick, buff sandstone dressings, Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge. 5-bay nave, short chancel, south porch' and south-west tower. The bays of the nave are divided by buttresses and have mullioned and transomed windows with round headed upper lights. Gabled south porch has octagonal buttresses with crocketted pinnacles and a 4-centred headed doorcase with coats of arms in the spandrels and a heavy studded and panelled, grained door. Date stone above. Similar projection on the north side contains the baptistery. Chancel has diagonal buttresses and a 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. 3-stage octagonal tower has 4-centred arched doorcase with TH in Lombardic script in the spandrels. Single lights above and stone bands at each stage. Lattice, openwork stone balustrade has plain pinnacles. Interior: fitted with C16 and C17 Netherlandish or German woodwork. Arcaded panelled organ screen and baptistery. Ornate pulpit dated 1686. Early eagle lectern and family pew and readers desk made up of carved pieces. Good Netherlandic stained glass some dated in late C16 and early C17. Nave roof has arch braced king post trusses with tracery in the spaces (Pevsner and Hubbard).

Listing NGR: SJ8626474793

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: SJ 86264 74793

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 10:41:21.