List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1139591

Location

THE OLD HALL, CONGLETON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityNether Alderley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58295

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 87 NW NETHER ALDERLEY C.P. CONGLETON ROAD (East Side)

4/128 The Old Hall

14/4/1967

GV II*

Manor house: early-mid C17 for Sir Thomas Stanley II with earlier fragments and addition and alterations of 1912 by Edmund Warre of London; English garden wall bond red brick with some purple bands. Buff sandstone dressings, Kerridge stone-slate roof and 3 brick chimneys, 2 with diamond shaped end stacks. Rectangular plan. 2 and 3-storey, 3-bay south front. Projecting stone band at 1st floor. Central bay of 3-storeys has rebated 5-light chamfered stone mullioned windows in ground and 1st storey and similar 3-light under a hood mould in a stone-coped and ball finialled gable. To left is a bead moulded stone doorcase with a cambered lintel and a 3-light window above. To right is a C20 door. Additions in ashlar to west are of 1912. Interior: Main room has light oak wainscotting (probably 1912) and 2-panelled doors with large diamonds in each panel. Heavy chamfered ceiling beams. Remainder of interior unexceptional. What survives is an addition to the earliest hall of C16. A major Baroque front of 1754 was destroyed by fire in 1779 and demolished and this led to the building of the now demolished Alderley Park. The Old Hall stands in a decorative moat made by adding an arm to the mill pond in the late C16.

Listing NGR: SJ8436376304

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 84360 76302

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2014 at 01:27:49.