List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1139516

Location

CHAPEL OF ST MARY, PHEASANT WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityHigh Legh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Mar-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58533

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 78 SW HIGH LEGH C.P. PHEASANT WALK

4/43 Chapel of St Mary (formerly listed as Chapel)

5.3.59

- II*

Chapel. c.1581, the south aisle of 1836 and the chancel of 1884 by J Oldrid Scott. Ashlar with tiled roof. Aisled nave with choir and chancel. West facade: Central projecting porch with pilasters to sides with bases and rising to consoles supporting cornice with central armigerous overthrow above. 2-lightPerpendicular windows to either side. 3-light Perpendicular window above porch with semi-circular relieving arch over. Square bell turret to gable apex. C19 chimney to left hand side. North front: doorway to left with Tudor arch with oeil-de-boeuf window to its left. Two 3-light casement windows to right. C19 gabled dormer clerestory windows, that to left set slightly higher, all with decorated bargeboards and bargeposts. 2-light C19 perpendicular chancel window to left. East front: 4-light C19 Perpendicular window. South Front: 4 round-arched windows with 3 semi-circular lights. Gables above with kneelers to sides. One dormer clerestory window at far left of nave with decorated bargeboards and post as on north front. Interior: 3-bay nave with octagonal wooden piers to aisles with arched braces extending on four sides to aisle roof principals, to lateral ovolo-moulded beams and to have roof trusses of cambered tie beam, collar and angle braces. Two purlins with wind bracing and ridge. Chamfered reveals to north aisle windows and bead moulded mullions. Upper clerestory dormer windows of 4 casement lights. C19 pargetting to ceiling of Tudor roses. Fleurs de lys and stars. Pews to nave of L858 by Butterfield, wainscotting and screens of 1884 by J Oldrid Scott. Pulpit constructed of vigorously carved C17 panels, incorporated by Butterfield, with animal heads and figures of saints. A reading desk of similar format, 2 chairs with terms to sides and an altar rail with balusters formed of figure carvings.

Listing NGR: SJ7007183932

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 70071 83932

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:57:12.