List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TUDOR BARN APPROXIMATELY 100 YARDS TO WEST OF ARLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1139506

Location

TUDOR BARN APPROXIMATELY 100 YARDS TO WEST OF ARLEY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityAston By Budworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Mar-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58505

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 68 SE ASTON-BY-BUDWORTH C.P. ARLEY HALL

3/13 Tudor Barn approx. 100 yards to west of Arley Hall (formerly listed as stable block and archway)

5.3.59 G.V. II

Former barn now used as tea shop and kitchen. c1604. Red English garden wall bond brick with stone dressings and slate roof. Single storey with open roof at north end, originally of 2 floors as still exists at south. West front: stone plinth with small offset buttresses. Stone quoins. 4 doorways with stone surrounds and heavy lintels. 3 doors to right are C19 plank construction, that to right a walkway. One 2 and one 3-light casement window to ground floor left hand side with stone surrounds, mullions and arched lights. First floor has 2 replacement square C20 single lights windows to left (where hay loft doors originally were). One 3-light casement window with stone surround slightly to right of centre. Square hayloft door to right of this and one 2-light casement window with stone surround at right. Dormer ventilation grilles to roof. North gable end: two C20 ground floor windows with segment heads. Breathers in diamond and X patterns. Close-studding to first floor with C20 glass infill. V-strutting to gable with brick infill. East front: right hand door to walkway has stone surround with '1609' carved on lintel in C19 lettering. 3-light casement to right of this with stone surround of 3 x 4 lights with segmental arches. Three C20 double French windows continuing to upper wall as glass panels. 4-light with a stone surround to right of centre. Interior: Queen post trusses with angle braces. 2 sets of wind braces.

The building adjoins the "Cruck barn" (q.v.) at that buildings south end.

Listing NGR: SJ6746080938

Selected Sources

Other
Part 6 Cheshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 67460 80938

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 07:25:25.