List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST MARY AT ARLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1139505

Location

CHAPEL OF ST MARY AT ARLEY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityAston By Budworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58503

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 68 SE ASTON-BY-BUDWORTH C.P. ARLEY HALL

3/11 Chapel of St Mary at Arley Hall

7.9.79

GV II*

Chapel. 1845. By Anthony Salvin with north aisle of 1856-7 by George Street. Ashlar and rendered brick with slate and tile roofs. Nave with north aisle, bell turret, porch and chancel. Decorated Gothic. South front: 4 bay nave, 2-light pointed mullioned window to left with hood mould. Projecting 2-storey bay to right of this (originally forming connecting passages to house) now with rendered south wall. Plain ashlar west wall. Canted enriched oriel to east front supported on buttress with carved beasts and small lancets to either side with cusped tracery. In the angle between the projection and the body of the nave is an octagonal bell turret with one lancet to the south east wall. 8 lancet openings to bell stage with hood moulds and end-stops. Red tiled double-pitch roof above this. Nave body to right has a moulded base common to the chancel and east end. Two 2-light mullioned windows with varied tracery. Buttresses between with off-sets and gargoyles above. Angled buttress at east end of nave with niche containing statue of Virgin and Child on a column and moulded canopy and gargoyle above. Pierced parapet common to nave and chancel. Chancel: of 2 bays set back slightly from the nave with two 2-light Decorated windows. Butress between with off sets and gargoyle spout and crocketed pinnacle over. Moulded lead rain water head and down pipe. Priests door with wrought iron decoration below left-hand window. North front: of Street's building with plainer decorated tracery and with plain buttresses between. Right hand window has doorway beneath with carved stonework to spandrels and wrought iron work to door. Left hand nave window is a double Decorated design of 2 x 2 lights. Vestry to left has one triple lancet to right. East front has late Ibcorated window to vestry and window of c1890 to chancel. The west wall is now rendered to its lower part where it originally joined the house and has stone work to the gable with a traceried window. Interior: Nave south wall has string course with ball flower end stops. 2-storey moulded arch to'original entrance from house. Wooden moulded panelling to gallery front. North arcade of 3 bays with ovolo-moulded colomettes by Street with high-relief capitals of foliage. Nave roof supported on wooden angle corbels, holding shields, arch braces to tie with longitudinal beam. 3 double-corona chandeliers with candelabra and lectern by Singer of Frome, Somerset c1880. Walls originally plastered, brickwork now exposed. North aisle has stone corbels supporting lean-to roof. Pierced spandrels to roof. Iron screen by Street richly polychromatically painted as is the iron radiator cover in the style of a C13 tomb with lily finials. Front: richly carved stone bowl with 8 panels carved with foliage designs and the Agnus Dei supported on a cluster of marble columns. Chancel has piscina and triple sedilia. East window stained glass by Kempe of 1895.

Listing NGR: SJ6755680968

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 6 Cheshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SJ 67556 80968

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:32:36.