List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1139497

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityGawsworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58593

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 86 NE GAWSWORTH C.P. CHURCH LANE

5/7 Church of St James

14.4.67

GV I

Church. C15 and C16. Yellow and red sandstone ashlar with lead roof Western tower, nave and chancel. Perpendicular. Tower: of red sandstone and c.1497 - 1536. West Face: moulded plinth with diagonal buttresses. Central western doorway with 4-centred arch with quatrefoils and daggers to spandrels. Row of square panels above containing pointed quatrefoils. Cyma-moulded string course above. Three-light window above with hood mould and figurehead stops. Canopied niche above supported by angel bearing a shield. Crocket to canopy. At this same level are similar, smaller canopied niches to the outer faces of the diagonal buttresses, crockets to canopies. Three shields in relief above central niche with circular clock face above them. String course below belfry stage which has 2-light louvred openings with hood moulds and figure head label-stops. Further row of square decorated panels below battlemented parapet which has gargoyles to centres and angles, above which rise panelled piers with crocketed pinnacles. South and North faces have shields and similar belfry stage and above. Nave: of yellow sandstone indicating earlier date than tower and chancel. Moulded plinth common to rest of nave and chancel. Three bays with windows of three lights gradually widening towards east, each having hood mould with label stops of human and animal form. Buttresses between bays terminating in square panelled piers and crocketed pinnacles. Diagonal buttresses at right and left indicating original termination points before tower and chancel were added. Later Perpendicular porch of red sandstone imposed between first and second bays from left with diagonal buttresses. Door with four-centred arch and circular panels to spandrels with canopied niche over. Large gargoyles to sides supporting octagonal panelled and crocketed pinnacles. Plaid parapet between these with chamfered coping. Porch reveals have 2-light windows, that at left having label stops of paired heads. North face similar save for absence of porch. Door at first bay to right. Chancel: Yellow sandstone, lower courses re-used from western end of nave when tower arch was introduced. Upper courses of red sandstone. South face: two bays. Windows, wider than those to nave, of three lights with buttress between and angle buttress at right. Priest's door to right of left hand bay. North side is similar. Eastern end: 5-light central window with figurehead label stops to hood-mould. Sanctus bellcote to gable apex with panelled sides and cross to summit. Interior: Panelled ceiling to nave with moulded principals supported on wall posts and arched braces rising from figurehead corbels. Chancel ceiling of square panels. Remnants of sides of original Eastern window evident in nave. Chancel screen of 1894 by J Oldrid Scott, based upon that at Elvaston, Derbyshire. Octagonal C16 panelled ashlar font on C19 stem with wooden cover, probably by J Oldrid Scott. Monuments to Francis Fitton of 1608, a table tomb with effigy above and skeleton below. Sir Edward Fitton and wife of 1619: two recumbent effigies with children kneeling along the tomb-chest and with a wall-plate behind to east wall. Dame Alice Fitton of 1627 seated figure in widow's garb. Children kneeling in front of and behind her. Sir Edward Fitton of 1643 and wife. Tomb-chest with recumbent effigies and figure of girl. Wall plate to eastern wall and trophy to south wall. Originally having a canopy over.

Source: Nikolaus Pevsner & Edward Hubbard - The Buildings of England:Cheshire.

Listing NGR: SJ8901069688

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 89010 69688

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 12:05:07.