List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1139352

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarringtonUnitary AuthorityWalton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Dec-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 58 NE WALTON C.P. CHESTER ROAD (South East side) 2/53 Church of St John the Evangelist

GV II*

Church, 1885, Decorated, by Paley and Austin at expense of Sir Gilbert Greenall. Red snecked sandstone with graded Westmorland green slate roofs. Cruciform with 3-bay aisleless nave; oak-framed south porch on 6-foot sandstone plinth; massive 4-stage tower (chequer-work in 3rd stage) with recessed octagonal spire of stone and octagonal north-west stair-turret; transepts; chancel of 2 bays with south vestry. Windows have reticulated and panel tracery; the west window and those to north side of chancel and west side of transepts are square-headed. Interior. Barrel roof to nave and chancel with boarded lining in panels, each carrying a stencilled pattern; arch-braced transept roofs; rib-vaulted crossing; sedilia in south side of chancel; reredos with carved crucifixion; marble font, oak pulpit on stone base; oak pews and altar-rail; tiled floors.

The church is the principal building of the Walton Hall estate village (circa 1850 to 1912 ), built at the expense of the Greenall family, brewers and distillers, of Warrington.

Listing NGR: SJ5984685254

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 59846 85254

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 12:18:41.