List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1139331

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE, HOLMES CHAPEL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityChelford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59042

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHELFORD C.P. HOLMES CHAPEL ROAD SJ 87 SW

6/1 The Manor House 14 4 67 (formerly listed as Manor House)

GV II*

House. Early C17. Addition of late C17 date and another dated by inscription IOHN BROOKE ECCL 2 II MARY 1671. Further C19 and C20 additions, those in 1902 by Isaac Massey the builders for Col. Dixon,JP. Stone plinth, timber framing with brick and rendered brick infill. Slate and cement tile roof. Two and three storeys. Entrance front: gable-ended core of original 2-cell building to left of centre has stone plinth and 7 x 3 cells of small framing with angle braces. Door to left. Moulded bressumer for jetty supported on brackets. C17 or C18 casement window to first floor. To right of this is the late Cl7 range of 7 x 3 cells of small framing on a stone plinth to the ground floor and a similar number of cells to the first floor. Ground floor window of three Cl7 or C18casement lights. C20 door to right. Two C17 or C18 casement lights to first floor. Decorative framing to gable of diamond patterned small framing with cross motifs. To right of this is the dated range of 1671 with 4 x 3 cells of small framing to the ground floor and a 3-light casement window. Inscription to upper horizontal beam. Moulded jetty-bressumer immediately above this. First floor has. 3i x 2 cells of ornamental panelling with cusped 1/4-circle decorative motifs and a Cl7 or C18 4-light casement window. Further moulded bressumer jettied to third floor which has 3 x 2 cells of small framing with 3-light casement window in gable which has fleur-de-lys motifs to the apex and sides. Extensive C19 and C20 additions to left and right and at the rear of the house. Interior: Two full crucks to the early C17 portion of the house originally forming an open hall but divided into two floors in the mid or late C17. Later C17 portion has small framing to internal walls and chamfered ceiling beams. Richly moulded bressumer to parlour ingle-nook fireplace with ovolo-moulded supporting piers of stone. Tension brace to former external wall. C19 inscription on interior side of beam recording the building of 1671 reads "When thou hast eaten and art full then shalt thou thank the Lord thy God". First floor bedroom and dressing room have C18 ogee-moulded plaster ceilings. Fine C17 staircase with moulded splat balusters with heart-shaped holes, moulded hand rail and ribbed newel posts with octagonally faceted ball knops. Some C17 or C18 glass surviving.

Listing NGR: SJ8202074170

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 82020 74170

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:41:31.